• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hope to pick up a few things does that count as if the postman brought it. Well looking for a 5 inch spinner. J&J tail wheel, a bunch of 4-40 blind nuts, hope find some nice 5 1/2 aluminum wheels, and what ever gets my interest. Do not like wheel pants endless maintenance and I always end up painting my hands when trying to paint them.

TonyHallo

150cc
I found a 4 1/2" carbon fiber spinner at the MARC's RC auction on Saturday, $20, couldn't pass it up. Sounds like you will be hitting the Micro Fastener booth, I plan to do so as well, still need a couple hundred on #0 screws for the wings. I have about 1000 already, can't wait to put these in! Robart wheels?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The fabric on the Champ is screwed to ribs rather than stitched. The full scale uses #4 screws.
That is interesting I have never seen that done. 1000 plus screws to be installed will take some time and patience. Hopefully they are not slotted screws and are hex head. Will be interesting to see when you do it. #0 screws must really small.

TonyHallo

150cc
.060" diameter, phillips head.

Managed to get the rear formers installed in between watching the grandsons, actually the two year was helping this morning when his brother was in preschool. The cabin roof will go on next, set the wing incidence and fill in the vertical sticks that hold the roof on.
IMG_2429.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
.060" diameter, phillips head.

Managed to get the rear formers installed in between watching the grandsons, actually the two year was helping this morning when his brother was in preschool. The cabin roof will go on next, set the wing incidence and fill in the vertical sticks that hold the roof on.
View attachment 109675
Coming along nicely it seems you are about 3 weeks ahead of me building the fuselage. The only thing with the fuselage that I am building it has second structure around the inner. It looks like the other structure is going to be a challenge. Have a question in the background is sanding machine with a round vertical post, never used one and you do not see them very often, do you use it a lot and for what.

TonyHallo

150cc
It is one of those things you can do without but nice to have. The spindle moves up and down when it runs. There are several sizes of drums from 2" to 5/8". I have a 12" disc sander that is used every day, not so for the drum sander. I would put the drum sander and scroll saw in the same light, there are things that you can do with them that a band saw or disc sander can't do. I cut curved areas on the formers below with the scroll saw them finished sanded with the drum sander. Didn't worry about cutting to the line, let the sander do the finish work. Hope this makes sense? I think the drum sander was less than $80 at Harbor Freight.
IMG_2433.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
I have the cabin roof roughed in. From the photo above the trailing edges are screwed to the vertical former with # 2 servo screws, a cradle was made from scrap wood to support the roof at the desired incidence of +1 degree. Once the glue dries, I'll lay the fuselage on it's side and align the vertical center lines of the roof with the laser lever as was done with the four rear formers,

IMG_2431.JPG