• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Got the four front posts installed along with the rear diagonal dowels. The post are inset about 9/16" at the top from the rib formers. The post are lapped glued to the spar boxes. Once the glue dries overnight, the craddle will be removed.
IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
Got out the makeshift router table and put the radius on the rudder edges. The rudder is 1/2" thick, the 1/4" radius bit was just the ticket. I also used the router to put the radius on the front posts in the cabin. The drawing calls out 3/8" x 5/8" half round, I had no idea what in world it was, thought about cutting a 5/8" dowel to 3/8" thick, tried Google. Finally decided to put a radius on the front side 3/8" x 5/8" stick, I think that's what the designer had in mind.

IMG_2434.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
Installed the vertical fin and tail wheel today, also continued to add parts to the cabin area. Still have a few more filler pieces to install before the 1/32" skins are installed. Heading to Toledo in the morning so nothing will get done except parting with some cash.

IMG_2439.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
Really starting to look like a plane nice work.
Thanks.

How did you do at Toledo? It's getting smaller every year!
This is what I found for the Champ, http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?p_id=tth2500bcu:110&ppinc=prophubs110&exact_match=on. Didn't know that TruTurn made Cub Hubs, glad I stopped and asked. It will good nice on the Champ with the scale civilian propeller. Also got 700 #0 washers and 4-40 hex head bolts, still need another 500 or so washers.

TonyHallo

150cc
Was out late last night and went flying this morning. Flew the Cherokee three times today, first flights of 2019, all in all a good day just not a very productive day. The field is rough as *ell, needs rolled in the worst way.
Got the cabin rear wall installed and made the door. Not sure how the designer envisioned making the door but I decided to make the door in the door opening so that I know it will fit. The frame parts were shimmed with 1/16" plywood strips away from from the jam, the top of the door slopes in at a 4 degree angle. The frame is glued to the top longeron which is part of the door and is still in place. The hinge slots were cut in with a multi tool at a 45 degree angle. Tomorrow after the glue dries the door will be cut out and the hinges can be glued in. Using DuBro giant scale hinges so the door can be removed. Once to hinges are installed I plan to shim the door back to the original position while the epoxy cures. The weather is getting nice here in Pittsburgh and I might just start painting the Glasair next week. Will put the Champ on the back burner for a while although I'm really liking this build.
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Toledo is not what it use to be do not think I will go again unless there is something I need.
And yes spent the some of the day getting the roller for the field running once the roller was fixed spent the rest of the day rolling the field. I did manage to get one flight in just before going home.