• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Last year I was able to get a 5000# vibratory asphalt roller to roll our field, I hope to secure it again this year. It took about 3 hours to roll the field, then I took it home and did my yard so the grandsons wouldn't break their ankles. Plan to do so again.
Did you get what you needed at Toledo? I can remember getting there at 0900 and staying until 1700 and not sure if I seen everything. Yesterday we arrived at 1000 and left for home at 1215, had 7 hours on the road and 2 hours at the show, how many batteries can yo look at? I found the Hitec rotary encoder servos interesting, thinking I might use in the Champ.

TonyHallo

150cc
Moment of truth, put the wings on the fuselage today to check alignment, the diagonals were within 3/16" which is close enough, will get it dead nuts with the lift struts, actually the wing tips move quite a bit, had to anchor the measuring tape at the rudder post to get accurate measurement.
IMG_2443.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Looks like a plane now. Nice going getting closer to finishing the wood work part of the plane, from my perspective in about a month all the wood work should be done.
The gap around the door looks pretty good.
Have to ask been looking at it for a while the motor bulkhead on the front needs a lot of wood to make it look like it is connected to the rest of the plane.

Last edited:

TonyHallo

150cc
Agreed, I plan to sheet inside the sides with 1/8" lite ply, The dash and one stringer will be added to the top and evaluate. It is currently as designed which is hard to believe. The outside will get covered with .012" aluminum sheet attached with #0 screws. I hope to get the interior sheeted with 1/32" plywood before doing anything in the front.

TonyHallo

150cc
Here's a photo I found online of the model, the side sheet and diagonal brace are not shown on the plans. This is really old school, the firewall is 3/4" thick, I suspect the fuel tank also offer some stability due to it's construction and the way it was installed. I think it is a 3 pound coffee can soldered up into the fuel tank.

IMG_4204.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That is one thing I never like buying they are so expensive now days, you stick them in the plane and never see them again. You know they are good but that’s about it it’s not like a new engine or plane.