• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Resurrecting an Old Favorite - 3DHS 87" Extra SHP

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Wing tube sleeve done and ready to epoxy in place and trim. I had a section of the CF sleeve from my old 35% Extra. Made a straight cut lengthwise using the diamond cutoff wheel in the Dremel. Wrapped it around the correct diameter (smaller) wing tube, marked the excess overlap and cut that off. Dressed the edges to make true and wrapped that around the smaller wing tube, secured with tape and used gap-filling CA with kicker to do sections between tape wraps. Eventually got the entire length glued together and sanded smooth.

Fits perfectly and of course will be epoxied in the plane. It is captured in four places by the light ply structure, so it should be fine down the road. After installing I may wrap a bit of glass around it on both ends between the motorbox and sides.

In the pic, the old 35% sleeve is on the left, then the section removed, next is the new smaller sleeve CA'd together and finally the proper wing tube for this plane. Oh, the diamond cutoff wheel.....couldn't live without this thing!!!
20161130_211324.jpg

Attachments

• 20161130_211324.jpg
    20161130_211324.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 348
  • 20161130_211324.jpg
    20161130_211324.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 381

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Update on the CF sleeve....since the CA joint is so thin (not much bonding area along an edge like that) I went ahead and gave it one wrap of lightweight glass cloth. Once that cures I will sand the openings in the fuse to accept it and Hysol into place.

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Are you making foam wings for this? I've done that on a couple of Extreme Flight planes and they felt way more solid in the air.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Most impressive work :yesss:

Makes me want to get to work on this mess... :rolleyes:
Thanks! That looks very repairable...at least from that angle!
Are you making foam wings for this? I've done that on a couple of Extreme Flight planes and they felt way more solid in the air.
I hear ya but nah....I've got a set of wings that are almost new, from my first one. Small repair needed on one tip....and fix where the frikken mice ate some balsa :gnashing:. This plane flies very light on the wing. If I want "solid" I'll get out the Raven :banana-dance: