• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Shop Construction

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Well that's kind of a bummer. But, I'll sleep better at night knowing it's in conduit.:D I was really surprised that anywhere in the USA would allow it without conduit. I assumed it'd my a national standards code or something. Mine had to be 24" AND in conduit. My trench was actually 36" deep because I ran water as well. Which the building inspector said was fine as long as the water and electric were 12" apart. So my water line was at the bottom of the trench at 36" and my electric was on a small shelf in the trench at 24".

Last edited:

sweetpea

100cc
They say here that heat is an issue with lines in conduit. Like you, I always thought it was better that way. Especially in my yard. I have a gazillion tiny moles.

sweetpea

100cc
Back to the trench today. I got about 20 of the 70 feet done. Still have to dig the bend area and heat a pipe elbow to shape.

sweetpea

100cc
That was not fun. Hope I pass on wed so I can start real construction. No idea what to do about insulation. 5-6k is outside my budget. May have to do walls now and roof later

pawnshopmike

Staff member
That was not fun. Hope I pass on wed so I can start real construction. No idea what to do about insulation. 5-6k is outside my budget. May have to do walls now and roof later
I'm not sure about the walls now and roof later. That spray foam makes one hell of a mess. Everything has to be masked off and covered with plastic sheeting before they start spraying. Think of it like a spray booth for a car. Anything inside the booth when they start spraying is going to get dusted in paint. So anything who put in the shop will have to be removed or completely covered in plastic sheeting before they spray the ceiling.

Also, I think the ceiling will tend to sweat this summer if its not insulated. But maybe the summer humidity isn't as bad in Ohio as it is in Missouri? Plus, even if it doesn't sweat, that building will be like an oven without an insulated ceiling. But again, I'm thinking of Missouri where it gets 100+ degrees in the summer.

sweetpea

100cc
Problem is I don't have the cash or credit to pay 5-6k. Unless I don't do other things like walls etc. Gonna have to sit down on my budget and figure things out.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Problem is I don't have the cash or credit to pay 5-6k. Unless I don't do other things like walls etc. Gonna have to sit down on my budget and figure things out.
My advice, get the insulation first. Then go slow a little at a time on the walls and whatnot. You can still work in the shop without have walls up. So long as its nice and comfy thanks to the insulation.:way_to_go:
In fact, I was at a friends house yesterday. He just had his shop spray foamed about a month ago. I've been in his shop dozens of times in the past. It was never as nice as it was yesterday. Temps were in the 80's and it felt great in his shop just with the doors open and a little breeze blowing through. His shop doesn't have any wall coverings. Just a little pegboard behind his work bench.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
@sweetpea Here's an idea. They charge by the cubic feet on the foam. Next person that gives you a bid, tell them you only want 2" on the ceiling and 1" on the walls. That should bring the bid down a lot. Or call back one of the guys that gave you a bid already and ask them to re-figure the big at 2"/1". For one, as long as it's closed cell (high density) foam. 2" and 1" will actually be sufficient. But here's the deal, like I said before, applying it is not an exact science. I guarantee you that you will get more than that. Not only is my shop spray foamed, I also had my basement done this past fall. Both times I got more than I payed for.