• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Shop Construction

thurmma

150cc
If we weren't so far apart, I would sell you my 220 window unit for a great price. I just replaced my house heat and ac so I am putting the old system in the garage and just going to run the fan on low so I don't cool or heat it to quick. I can get the model number for you if you want. I have 672 sq ft and it does the job more than sufficiently. The one thing I did notice is that you have the vaulted ceilings, which my add a little to the cooling issue. I have my ceiling closed off at 8'.

sweetpea

100cc
Sure...send me the model info. my ceilings are only vaulted until they put the spray foam in. They will be 10ft flat ceilings when its done.

sweetpea

100cc
I need some help!

So I have to decide where to put the A/C unit. I found a new GE 14250BTU unit for a great price that will work out.

How high up do I want it? Also need to decide on the wall. I can put it near my window which faces my house (where the wife's garden will be) or I can put it on the back wall, but that will eventually be a lean to for my gardening supplies or I can put it on the RV side, but there is a concern I might hit it with the RV or at best it blocks the path to walk between the RV and the building.

Thoughts?

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I would put it on the back. If you put it on the garden/house side, you have to hear the noise. RV side could cause a lot of damage to your RV and new building both. Since there is no lean to on the back wall yet, you can design and build around the AC unit, plus the lean to will give it some weather protection! As for height, I would go as high as possible to keep it up out of the way, plus cold air sinks anyhow so it will project farther into your shop the higher up it is. Same reason in your car you run the heat through the floor vents and AC through the dash vents. Just my thoughts.

sweetpea

100cc
The only thing I see an issue with the back wall is that I won't spend the majority of my time there. The back is where I'm storing the planes hanging from the ceiling. My workbenches will be middle to front. Of course its not that big a bldg...700sq ft and the AC is designed for that size so it should cool pretty quickly (also using a fan to help circulate air). I can design the lean-to around it though or just have it inside of it. Its not like I'll be in that storage area unless I need to get garden/yard tools out of it and if that's the case I won't be in cooling the workshop at that time anyway.

I can make that happen. Probably put it up about 6ft...I'll look where my beams are tonight and plan it out. I will need help though getting it up there before the foam sprayers show! Who's in for lifting this 80lb machine!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I have a friend that has his on the side of his shop where he parks his enclosed car trailer. It's always in the way and trying to walk between them can be very hazardous.:lol2:

sweetpea

100cc
That is what I'm worried about. The minute I put it on that side.........I will need to be walking between the structure and RV all the time and it will be in the way! I Think the back is going to win out.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
With that small of a space to cool, it doesn't have to be centered either. Put it to one side or the other so it is at the very back of your lean to and out of the way.

sweetpea

100cc
Well the air is partially in. I need to build a mount for the back side and a few more braces. Also a nice shot of my entrance and where that small garden is going

IMG_20150513_210000868.jpg
IMG_20150513_210420516.jpg

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Just sink a 4x4 post under the back edge of the unit, that way you won't have to nail/screw through your siding and it will be really solidly supported.