• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Stupidest thing you have ever done RC related.

rcpilotacro

70cc twin V2
FCUK ! big list

Let me enumerate some of the stupidest things i have done and learnt in life

1. Took off with Glow booster on the model, discovered by wife when she was previewing the pic on the cam, while the model was still in air. Prolux Booster held on.

2. took off with wheel collet nut loose, wheel fell off during take off, landed without a wheel (see image below)

3. Aileron servo was kept in place never screwed on, flew 6-7 sorties before realising the folly (In fact suspected some problem with the left roll, landed and discovered this to my utter horror).

4. Engine mount and the engine came off on a spitfire (not fully, went into heavy vibration and cut) landed safely though

5. Took off with Rudder reversed

6. flew a wrong model on the radio, had a harrowing time landing as the aileron was reversed and ele throw was too little

7. filled gas on a glow engine (My domestic help did) fortunately didn't start. both fuel caddies were anderson red. changed over to jersey modellor white for gas after this incident

8. had a mid air kiss with a 50 cc flying a warbird (Landed fortunately) following a wrong circuit pattern.

9. flew with a loose glow plug, had many engine cut and dead stick on a reliable engine that day

that's all i could remember

Hold on ! switched off the radio with battery still connected ! failsafe kicked in, prop bit my hand at six places

that's landing the baby with wheel gone ! a scratch built high winger, built from scrap plywood, 50 CC JBA engine

PS
Going through the posts, looks like i am not the only one, funny part is i seem to have made all those mistakes ! One shop stop, you could say :)
50CY-single wheel landing.jpg

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
While this one never happened to me, we used to pylon race 1/2A airplanes at my old field. They were small, no throttle, wide open all the time and fast as hell. More than once I saw a team start the plane and hand launch, but had never turned the airplane on. Now keep in mind we flew from inside the course, so if the receiver never got turned on and it just went straight in on the hand launch then it was over pretty quick, but if the airplane flew from the hand launch and started to loop well then real fun ensued. Thankfully no one was ever hurt, but a few would have made great video.;)

Yep. That same Yak I forgot to screw an elevator arm in and mid flight I had one elevator. :LOL_gif: Great hijinks followed but got it back on the ground ok. Same Yak this time one of the aileron arms came out. Got it back ok. That plane is like a cat . Got 9 lives. :laughing:

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yep. That same Yak I forgot to screw an elevator arm in and mid flight I had one elevator. :LOL_gif: Great hijinks followed but got it back on the ground ok. Same Yak this time one of the aileron arms came out. Got it back ok. That plane is like a cat . Got 9 lives. :laughing:

That's now a free plane. Fly it hard.

Wacobipe

100cc
Setting up expo reversed on my Pitts M12... The first 4 flights were a nightmare until Dr Evil remembered someone else doing the same thing and asked me if I might have done so to...

ryan_m

100cc
Watched a guy takeoff without putting the wing bolt in last year on a 50cc Slick. It died after about a minute :)