• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Tail Wheel Steering, Springs vs Fuel Tubing or other setups

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
The only thing I might have done differently is put the zip tie that goes through the arm on the rudder up through the bottom of the hole instead of down through the top of the hole.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
ericb said
The only thing I might have done differently is put the zip tie that goes through the arm on the rudder up through the bottom of the hole instead of down through the top of the hole.
Thanks.... I appreciate the comment. I can tell you right from the git go, it is already (from what I have noticed) so much more accurate and positive than any setup I have "FOUGHT" with. I tired it a little while ago with the weight of the stabs on and rolled the plane across the floor. As from before, It actually turned the direction of my rudder. OH HAPPY DAY..... YAY!

As for your suggestion? I thought about that.... I actually tried it both ways. Not that either is better or worse than the other....I just "liked" it the through the top. Guess you'd say I am a "top" kind of guy. Never really liked the bottom. LOL.....

Thank you Eric

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
stangflyer said

ericb said
Thanks.... I appreciate the comment. I can tell you right from the git go, it is already (from what I have noticed) so much more accurate and positive than any setup I have "FOUGHT" with. I tired it a little while ago with the weight of the stabs on and rolled the plane across the floor. As from before, It actually turned the direction of my rudder. OH HAPPY DAY..... YAY!

As for your suggestion? I thought about that.... I actually tried it both ways. Not that either is better or worse than the other....I just "liked" it the through the top. Guess you'd say I am a "top" kind of guy. Never really liked the bottom. LOL.....

Thank you Eric

I fought springs and other setups for years also. One night after another spring stretched to the point of no return I remembered seeing this setup somewhere and tried it. Might not be the prettiest, but it sure works. The best part is if it does break somehow, the components are available at any hobbyshop and cheap.
banana-dancing-with-mario-smiley-emoticon.gif

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
ericb said
stangflyer said

ericb said

Thank you Eric

I fought springs and other setups for years also. One night after another spring stretched to the point of no return I remembered seeing this setup somewhere and tried it. Might not be the prettiest, but it sure works. The best part is if it does break somehow, the components are available at any hobbyshop and cheap.

Well, I got a chance to find out if the new setup works as everyone says. YUP....it does. Might take a little finessing to get just the right tension...maybe just a smidgen tighter... but over all, it works. That at least I am happy about. Thanks to all that assisted with their ideas, opinions and input. I think it will stay that way, at least for now.

As for the Sukhoi, my springs from J&J Tailwheels arrived today. So, without futher adue, I got that set up as well. I am not going to double post so that setup will be over in the 3D The Planes category under the Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi thread. I am actually quite pleased with how it turned out. For once, the visions in my head turned out pretty much as I imagined. 
laughing.gif

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
stangflyer said

ericb said
stangflyer said

ericb said

Thank you Eric

Well, I got a chance to find out if the new setup works as everyone says. YUP....it does. Might take a little finessing to get just the right tension...maybe just a smidgen tighter... but over all, it works. That at least I am happy about. Thanks to all that assisted with their ideas, opinions and input. I think it will stay that way, at least for now.

As for the Sukhoi, my springs from J&J Tailwheels arrived today. So, without futher adue, I got that set up as well. I am not going to double post so that setup will be over in the 3D The Planes category under the Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi thread. I am actually quite pleased with how it turned out. For once, the visions in my head turned out pretty much as I imagined. 
laughing.gif

Found out I had to tighten mine up a little also after initial tests.

Maybe I can add some specifics and illustrations to this discussion. There are lots of ways to steer a tail wheel including not steering it at all. Below are some pictures that illustrate what I consider to be well done tail wheel installations as well as a link to a .pdf file with graphic illustrations and descriptions of what type of steering geometry works well and what does not. A couple of no brainers:

1. Adjust the tension of the springs/tubes/whatever with the plane on the ground/table, not upside down.

2. If the servo protests when you hook up the tail wheel steering something is screwed up.

3. Screws do not work well when inserted into balsa

4. Springs deflect so allow for it.

5. If the wheel does not turn on it's axle or the entire assembly rattles around on the spring it will not provide much steering.

6. Compress the spring rather then stretching the spring.

7. The direct drive/tiller arm system works best and is the easiest to install and maintain if you can get the pivot point of anybodies tail wheel within two inches of the rubber hinge line.   If you cannot do this due to the lack of a hard point far enough forward in the fuse then use the springs/tubes and move the entire assembly as far back as you can. It's all about geometry.

Vern Smith

White Rose Engineering

http://www.whiteroseeng.com/docs/TWsteeringpositioning.pdf

compSpring.jpg

emeryTiller.jpg