• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yup, a pair of 6s 5000 packs in series. And no, they come down at about 65-70% discharged, 3.75-3.8 volts per cell. I have my timer set conservatively at 6 minutes to give me enough breathing room to land.

@Bluepilot2003

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I run my electrics the same way. I thought about going electric in the 50cc size... But I really, really want the flight time without needing to switch the batts.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I purposely kept this airplane electric since it has always been electric. It had an incident with the electric motor mount from the PO that ripped a good portion of the firewall apart (he is pretty skilled with repairs, doesn't even look like it broke!) so I didn't want to stress anything with a gasoline engine. Plus, I do attend electric only events from time to time so having an all electric giant is nice.

There are higher capacity packs out there that don't weigh much more than the 6s 5000 30c packs I have in there now that would net closer to 8 minutes of flight time. I'm going to have to get some different packs to try out and increase the flight time. My next 50cc will be gasoline.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Went flying yesterday, awesome day at the field..

But the cool part was right when I was packing up to go a car pulls up with a probably 8-9 yo boy, his younger sister, his father and grandfather. He brought his little parkzone corsair and was ready to fly. The look on this kids face when he saw all the planes and people and field was worth a million bucks. This kid was REALLY happy to be there. He came over and checked out my plane for a while, they live close by and I think it was the first time any of them had seen big planes. The grandfather was an air force pilot and I guess the boy and him talk airplanes all the time. They asked if he could fly his corsair off the runway and he went out there and flew it really well, and nailed the landing! Everyone watched and cheered and I thought he really did well with the added pressure of all these giant scale pilots watching and cheering.

Pretty cool ending to a pretty good flying day.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
At the field today for the first time since October. Great first flight, but as soon as I landed the Safety Nazi came over and chewed me out for breaking a supposed new rule that was passed at the last meeting. I was at that meeting and we did no such thing. Man I was hot!
20150315_110221.jpg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well only got a couple of flights in. Standing in the sun in 90* weather just isn't all that much fun, especially with the wind blowing.