• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have asthma, anyone have any idea how hard it is to breath slimmer exhaust? Simply put, I can't!!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well for the 1 and 1/2 weeks waiting for good flying weather and it happened yesterday got the field at 9 am but had todo some mowing first, got the field ready and flew till 5-30pm good day burnt of almost 2 gallons of fuel. But bad weather today 40mph plus winds and a thunderstorm predicted. Back into the shop doing maintenance. Just waiting for the next good day.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
2 flights is about all I can manage to get out of the Fromeco 5200 packs on my 107" Yak now before they sag down to the 6.0v range. Too low for me to keep flying, there's always tomorrow. Sealing the elevator hinge gaps made the pitch SO much more responsive. I was not expecting it to spin as violently as it does in crankshafts and knife edge spins :oblong:

Very windy day today. Unfortunately no pics because we were having too much fun flying with our guest today. He is a volunteer for the FAA Safety Team and is our SoCal rep. He came by and talked about all of the fantastic new FAA regulations that we all love and adore so much :rolleyes: But anyways, from what I gathered from what he was talking about, we AMA members are of very low concern to the FAA and they just want to create dialog with us modelers. He took down some of our comments and suggestions that he will pass back to the FAA. Also, something that was a bit reassuring was hearing they have very little means for enforcing these obtrusive regulations, and that city/state/whatever law enforcement doesn't have the jurisdiction to enforce anything relating to NAS.

All of this is just what I gathered from what we were being told. I could be wrong though.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
2 flights is about all I can manage to get out of the Fromeco 5200 packs on my 107" Yak now before they sag down to the 6.0v range. Too low for me to keep flying, there's always tomorrow. Sealing the elevator hinge gaps made the pitch SO much more responsive. I was not expecting it to spin as violently as it does in crankshafts and knife edge spins :oblong:

Very windy day today. Unfortunately no pics because we were having too much fun flying with our guest today. He is a volunteer for the FAA Safety Team and is our SoCal rep. He came by and talked about all of the fantastic new FAA regulations that we all love and adore so much :rolleyes: But anyways, from what I gathered from what he was talking about, we AMA members are of very low concern to the FAA and they just want to create dialog with us modelers. He took down some of our comments and suggestions that he will pass back to the FAA. Also, something that was a bit reassuring was hearing they have very little means for enforcing these obtrusive regulations, and that city/state/whatever law enforcement doesn't have the jurisdiction to enforce anything relating to NAS.

All of this is just what I gathered from what we were being told. I could be wrong though.
Two flights? Cripes, we easily get 6 to 8 10 minute flights with no concerns. What up yo?

I didn't get to enjoy any flying today. It seems some storms got together and ganged up on the Boise valley today. From 111 on Thursday to barely over 60 today. Not to mention that damn wind. So, I am hoping tomorrow will prove to be an improvement. At least that's what the weather man indicates. He better be right.

Last edited:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Two flights? Cripes, we easily get 6 to 8 10 minute flights with no concerns. What up yo?

The packs just aren't holding up anymore, they probably have 4-500 cycles on them by now. After 2 flights with me behind the sticks, they're hitting almost 6.0v under load. I have some fresh new Pulse 5000 packs coming in the main to replace the Fromeco's.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The packs just aren't holding up anymore, they probably have 4-500 cycles on them by now. After 2 flights with me behind the sticks, they're hitting almost 6.0v under load. I have some fresh new Pulse 5000 packs coming in the main to replace the Fromeco's.
Ah! That would explain it. I have noticed the packs in my 107" Edge use as much as my big 40 "centers". And it weighs far less and has less servo's. And they are not quite a year old. (The flight packs) There is a lot to be said about how we beat the snot outta our planes when we're really stirring them sticks.
:devil-dance::devil-dance::devil-dance::devil-dance::devil-dance::devil-dance::devil-dance:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Ah! That would explain it. I have noticed the packs in my 107" Edge use as much as my big 40 "centers". And it weighs far less and has less servo's. And they are not quite a year old. (The flight packs) There is a lot to be said about how we beat the snot outta our planes when we're really stirring them sticks.
:devil-dance::devil-dance::devil-dance::devil-dance::devil-dance::devil-dance::devil-dance:

My Yak is power hungry with them huge ailerons :mario-banana:

My 91" Slick on the other hand I can probably manage 35+ flights on one set of 1900 packs without recharging :brian-banana: