• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I have a 1/4 scale Sig Cub I built over 20 years ago With a Fema onboard starter on an OS 160 Gemini Twin 4stroke I would do deadstick restarts with. While out visiting my Uncle in Renton Washington. We took a few of our planes to an Airshow in Redmond W. at Merrymoore Park and was asked to participate with their Airshow Team with my Cub. My Uncle and I had a great time that weekend. I still have the Cub it is in my Museum of Flight. LOL!!

Last edited:

Yakman

70cc twin V2
I had a 1/4 scale Sig Cub I built over 20 years ago With a Fema onboard starter on an OS 160 Gemini Twin 4stroke I would do deadstick restarts with. While out visiting my Uncle in Renton Washington. We took a few of our planes to an Airshow in Redmond W. at Merrymoore Park and was asked to participate with their Airshow Team with my Cub. My Uncle and I had a great time that weekend. I still have the Cub it is in my Museum of Flight. LOL!!
I remember flying that plane a couple times.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I have a lot of video of the 1/4 Scale cub and photo's. , but all the video's are VHS and the photo's are print LOL!!! Also has a split Cowl I made for it for easy access to the drive line, elec. motor, and one way clutch setup.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Fema on board electric starter? Those darn things are so cool. Here is my Hanbar 9 95" Cessna 182 equipped with a Saito 180 four stroke and Fema on board electric start.

Cessna2.jpg
IMG_0881.JPG

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
@Terryscustom you should have tried to do one of those deadstick restart things that all the big time pros have done!
I was at the field one day watching a club member try that. He never did get it to restart, but it was awesome to watch, and to hear. An Aeroworks 100cc Extra 300 makes all kinds of noise diving from a ridiculous height with the motor off and no other planes running.:yesss:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Actually it was kinda spooky even with the struts on the cub. Last flight I was higher than in the video and could instantly hear the howl of the wind through the struts when I killed the engine Even at "400" feet;)

I have thought about it more than once, worst case you just land, no big deal. I remember seeing video of that done at the start of an XFC round a number of years ago.
Yuri Higuchi is the cat who does that. Seen him climb to 1000' and kill the engine. Deadstick routine and with momentum on his side, shake rattle and roll the airplane to get the prop to spin over and start. He also has exploded several Comp ARFs doing this too. He found the never exceed speed!

SteveT.

100cc
Brand new 3DHS 75" Extra, built and ready to fly...been too darn windy to maiden for over a week, and I was ill for the week before that...and the weather prognosticators are predicting wind, "possibly" rain (which we REALLY need), and low temps for the upcoming week..darn it!!!!

Extra-left.jpg Extra-right.jpg Extra-left front.jpg Extra-right front.jpg

SteveT.

Attachments

• Extra-front.jpg
    Extra-front.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Extra-rear.jpg
    Extra-rear.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited: