• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

You didnt fly at the glengary wv club when they had there probro event did you?

Nope I have not been to a probro event yet. My actual first probro I will attend will be at my home field and I'm hosting it this year last weekend in June.

Also here is the maiden of that little sabre35. Lots of fun but stripped a swervo gear and the factory pushrods are way to flimsy. Couldn't do a good snap roll as they kept bending.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
A little fiberglass repair. Had to apply some chewing gum, duct tape and band aids to some wheel pants that got dinged up a bit last weekend. New wheel pants are on order from Herve... these are now the official practice pants... Sounds like a "T" shirt... "You got your practice pants on?" :D

wheelpants1.jpg

How do you ding up the wheel pants on both right and left sides? I'd rather not talk about the 'incident'... ;)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A little fiberglass repair. Had to apply some chewing gum, duct tape and band aids to some wheel pants that got dinged up a bit last weekend. New wheel pants are on order from Herve... these are now the official practice pants... Sounds like a "T" shirt... "You got your practice pants on?" :D

View attachment 14176

How do you ding up the wheel pants on both right and left sides? I'd rather not talk about the 'incident'... ;)
I'd really like to know. Come on...tell us!:yesss:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The weather slipped a little so I figured it was a good time to do some modifications. First on the agenda was to add a DA170 carb plate with the nipple fitting and balance tube to the GP Evo 176. Plenty of power, but midrange just a little dirty. This should help it out nicely.

tube one.png
tube three.png
tube two.png

Next, I wanted to move the flight packs back some as the upline inverted showed the Sukhoi was a bit nose heavy. Upon balancing her, she was perfect neutral with no added weight. But I forgot there is about three pounds of fuel in the nose upon take off. Sooo.....Move them batteris. I originally had them tucked up under the top motor box plate. They fit nicely, but this was an easy move to get the CG a little better with fuel onboard. And, it should help in nose up maneuvers. I also loomed the battery leads down the sides of the fuse with the rest of the harnesses. You can see in the first picture up under the cowl where the two slots are cut out, that is where the flight packs originally were placed.

Sukhoi batt move.png
clean install.png

Next on the agenda was to also move the flight packs in the PAU. As it also showed perfect neutral in original CG balance. But again, I forgot the fuel load weight. Because the fuel tank is smaller holding less fuel, the battery move was less extreme than on the Sukhoi. I also removed completely the ignition battery from the inside fuse side just forward of the fuel tank. I ran the ignition straight through my Smart-Fly board. I figure with only using about 900 mah out of each pack for about four flights and about 200 from the ignition battery, the 10,400 mah flight packs will handle it just fine. Plus, redundancy is not an issue with the SF.

PAU batt move.png

Now I am waiting for exhaust couplers from DA to show up so I can reconnect my 157 in the 260 to my mufflers. I am thinking in the meantime I will remove the ignition pack from my Pilot Edge and connect it also to the SF. At just a smidge over 16 pounds now, removing the battery from the nose will make it a few ounces lighter and even more "Sketch" and more "twitchy". I love it. LOL

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I started recovering the tail feather's on my 100 mph Sky Raider. Went out the other day to fly and all of a sudden the covering on the left side of the horizontal stab came up, and I could see the white on the inside, I fly the Sky Crapper 5 to 15 ft. high
IMG_3794.JPG IMG_3796.JPG IMG_3799.JPG IMG_3800.JPG IMG_3801.JPG IMG_3803.JPG IMG_3805.JPG IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3807.JPG IMG_3809.JPG IMG_3811.JPG IMG_3812.JPG IMG_3813.JPG

mndless

Don't know a thing..
I'd really like to know. Come on...tell us!:yesss:

A little embarrassing... 3rd flight on a new PAU extra with a new DA170. I failed to remove the throttle arm idle set screw. Apparently, after each of the three flights it was moving and vibrating further out, preventing me from idling down. It was not apparent until the third flight. When my helper stepped off of the plane, it started moving... and I could not get it to slow down.. it happened pretty quickly, just taxiing around and getting a little bit too fast... I should have just cut the engine, but again, this all happened within a few seconds... it got up enough speed that when it hit this old ant hill it bounded pretty hard... take a large heavy plane, a bounce and wheel pants installed a tad too low and whammo... pretty easy to ding up both wheel pants at the same time... so, couple of lessons... remember to pull that stinking throttle arm set screw off and pay close attention to the wheel pants installation !! :)

BalsaDust

So I picked up a new toy yesterday. Estes Proto X. Fun little quad to fly but I saw some problems all with the controller. First I don't have big hands but I don't have small hands either and this thing is just to small to hold comfortably especially when I'm a stick pincher not thumb flyer. Second the sticks are so short that the smallest stick movent results in drastic movement of the quad.
So I had this scrap piece of 1" thick MDF in the shop so I basically made a new controller around the old one. It's now about the size of a XBOX360 controller and feels just about perect to me. Also pulled the little knobs off and extended the joysticks a bit. Easier to hold and the longer sticks in effect act as mechanical expo.
Now to make a nice carrying case for it all but first off to put the first coat of clear on all the sanding blocks that need to be shipped out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 241
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 214

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So I picked up a new toy yesterday. Estes Proto X. Fun little quad to fly but I saw some problems all with the controller. First I don't have big hands but I don't have small hands either and this thing is just to small to hold comfortably especially when I'm a stick pincher not thumb flyer. Second the sticks are so short that the smallest stick movent results in drastic movement of the quad.
So I had this scrap piece of 1" thick MDF in the shop so I basically made a new controller around the old one. It's now about the size of a XBOX360 controller and feels just about perect to me. Also pulled the little knobs off and extended the joysticks a bit. Easier to hold and the longer sticks in effect act as mechanical expo.
Now to make a nice carrying case for it all but first off to put the first coat of clear on all the sanding blocks that need to be shipped out.
Crafty little devil aren't ya?:way_to_go:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A little embarrassing... 3rd flight on a new PAU extra with a new DA170. I failed to remove the throttle arm idle set screw. Apparently, after each of the three flights it was moving and vibrating further out, preventing me from idling down. It was not apparent until the third flight. When my helper stepped off of the plane, it started moving... and I could not get it to slow down.. it happened pretty quickly, just taxiing around and getting a little bit too fast... I should have just cut the engine, but again, this all happened within a few seconds... it got up enough speed that when it hit this old ant hill it bounded pretty hard... take a large heavy plane, a bounce and wheel pants installed a tad too low and whammo... pretty easy to ding up both wheel pants at the same time... so, couple of lessons... remember to pull that stinking throttle arm set screw off and pay close attention to the wheel pants installation !! :)
Well that just sucks. Man, I've done worse. Glad it was only your pants that need some attention. Any worse and it could have been your shorts.:lol2: