• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

pawnshopmike

Staff member
So I picked up a new toy yesterday. Estes Proto X. Fun little quad to fly but I saw some problems all with the controller. First I don't have big hands but I don't have small hands either and this thing is just to small to hold comfortably especially when I'm a stick pincher not thumb flyer. Second the sticks are so short that the smallest stick movent results in drastic movement of the quad.
So I had this scrap piece of 1" thick MDF in the shop so I basically made a new controller around the old one. It's now about the size of a XBOX360 controller and feels just about perect to me. Also pulled the little knobs off and extended the joysticks a bit. Easier to hold and the longer sticks in effect act as mechanical expo.
Now to make a nice carrying case for it all but first off to put the first coat of clear on all the sanding blocks that need to be shipped out.
That's pretty damn cool Chris. I probably sell 20 to 40 of those each month. The micro size controller is my only gripe. Other than that, they actually fly awesome!
Of corse, for $10 bucks more you could have bought the ProtoX SLT that comes with the larger controller and does flips and stuff;). Only problem is they are on back order till April and I've been out at the shop since January.:very_angry:
image.jpg

BalsaDust

That's pretty damn cool Chris. I probably sell 20 to 40 of those each month. The micro size controller is my only gripe. Other than that, they actually fly awesome!
Of corse, for $10 bucks more you could have bought the ProtoX SLT that comes with the larger controller and does flips and stuff;). Only problem is they are on back order till April and I've been out at the shop since January.:very_angry:
View attachment 14488

Yeah well this one was just me going out on a whim. Was at the LHS picking up some props for some of my profiles and a new motor on my blade nano qx. Saw it sitting there and said what the hell. Shop owner is a member of my club and he cut me a good deal on everything.

BalsaDust

PM me your adress and I will send you one of these little gizmos. I making a handful of them for some buddies and it's getting some scrap wood out of my shop.

sweetpea

100cc
Well I paid for my shop, my permit is in so I pick that up today and construction can start when the building gets delivered (24x30 metal pole barn). I paid for concrete floor and that starts happening in the next week or so, after the ground dries a little for grading. I got my quote for electric to be ran to the bldg. I figure I'm 2 months away from having a shop

I'm looking to do the snap together garage floor tiles (kinda like plastic). I don't want to mess with epoxy and paint peels to easy. It won't be cheap, but it will look nice and is easy to repair/replace.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Well I'm a little late to the conversation, but lately my workshop has been taken over by work. We are putting the finishing touches on a long endurance electric sUAS and I got "DRONE" guts all over the place lol.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So while waiting on parts, I decided to "freshen up" my Freestyle 260. I've had it a couple of years and well, I have not been very nice to it. It is too much fun to toss around in the air. Lol.

The covering started pulling loose, yay...go Monokote Yellow! Not only @Flyrcjoe and my son, @Shayne Epley, but apparently my yellow sucks too. Anyway, I removed the entire top right wing and aileron covering and tossed it all in the trash and started over from scratch.

20150311_193133.jpg
20150311_193204.jpg

Once removed, I layed down a new top wing and aileron sheet. Then using the left wing as a template, I cut new blue and white layers and placed them into position. A little time consuming but the end result was satisfying enough that I won't be ashamed to fly it. Lol

20150313_110059.jpg

Hmm....now what can I work on? Wish my parts for the Hempel Edge would show up.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
So while waiting on parts, I decided to "freshen up" my Freestyle 260. I've had it a couple of years and well, I have not been very nice to it. It is too much fun to toss around in the air. Lol.

The covering started pulling loose, yay...go Monokote Yellow! Not only @Flyrcjoe and my son, @Shayne Epley, but apparently my yellow sucks too. Anyway, I removed the entire top right wing and aileron covering and tossed it all in the trash and started over from scratch.

View attachment 14574 View attachment 14575

Once removed, I layed down a new top wing and aileron sheet. Then using the left wing as a template, I cut new blue and white layers and placed them into position. A little time consuming but the end result was satisfying enough that I won't be ashamed to fly it. Lol

View attachment 14576

Hmm....now what can I work on? Wish my parts for the Hempel Edge would show up.
Looks really nice. Good job.