• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Good days in the shop don't necessarily mean a good day at the field :face-palm:. Me and my buddy went to fly his Edge and my Extra yesterday evening and boy what a futile endeavor :gnashing:. Nothing was crashed :) but nothing made it off the ground :(. Think I will get :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: and stare at my dog in my shop today :blank:.

Nothing all that bad really but the heat and humidity made even the simple most arduous. Both planes could have got in the air but we did not let the heat / humidity fry and suffocate our brains enough to do something stupid like fly a plane with a known issue!

One of the two Lipo packs on the Edge would not charge to full capacity (New pack but I did not check it or charge it before tuning the engine :face-palm:) and got down to 5% so I think it is DONE. My BAD. The Extra's DL50 ran awesome in the driveway but went to fly it and the same issue popped up on the ground as it did in the air when I maiden a month ago. Engine leans excessively at 20/25% throttle and loses power but almost picks back up immediately at about 30/40% throttle. It actually died when I was taxing around checking prior to roll out for lift off. Sounds like an air leak but I suspect the check valve just before the HS jet nozzle to be faulty or something keeping it from properly seating at all throttle positions. There was a whole bunch of metal shavings, dirt particles and crud when I dismantled it. I may have damaged the check valve my self when I shot carb cleaner in to the HS jet but I doubt it because the problem in performance was pre-existing. Going to put a new carb on it but man I just need to throw down and get a DA50 and be DONE. Getting tired of not being able to post in that other thread ya know :yesss:.
Not a good day but nothing was bestrode. But yes it is frustrating when it works at home get to the field and nothing works. Especially this year flying days have been scarce so wasting a day is precious this year it seams.

tailskid

70cc twin V2
Guess it is time to finish up the front end of the TF Giant Scale P-51 ARF....had to move the engine 3/4" forward and then that was not far enough!

Attachments

• P8210004.JPG
    P8210004.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 189

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Guess it is time to finish up the front end of the TF Giant Scale P-51 ARF....had to move the engine 3/4" forward and then that was not far enough!

What engine you going to run? A flying bud had a DLE55 and went to a DA60 then to a DLE85! It is friggin awesome with the 85! But when I saw it fly for the first time ever it had the DLE55 and it pulled it quite nicely.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Alright. So I got over my "frustration" hangover and dug into the pump end of the WT908 carb and pulled the rubber membrane diaphragm and installed the "other" diaphragm (Reinforced Plastic Fiber???) from the K20WAT rebuild kit. I also added a "shield" for the hole on the metering diaphragm cover. Set both needles to slightly past 1.5 turns out. Fired on choke after 3 flips and then 4 flips to a running engine.
After warm up went 7400 rpm static. Reliable low idle to about 1300. After shut down I opened the HS needle just a tad more and restarted. Top end dropped 100 or so rpm.0812171107-00.jpg 0812171110-00.jpg 0812171111-00.jpg If this thing :steamer:'s at the field again......:laughing:.

Exagpilot

New to GSN!
Alright. So I got over my "frustration" hangover and dug into the pump end of the WT908 carb and pulled the rubber membrane diaphragm and installed the "other" diaphragm (Reinforced Plastic Fiber???) from the K20WAT rebuild kit. I also added a "shield" for the hole on the metering diaphragm cover. Set both needles to slightly past 1.5 turns out. Fired on choke after 3 flips and then 4 flips to a running engine.
After warm up went 7400 rpm static. Reliable low idle to about 1300. After shut down I opened the HS needle just a tad more and restarted. Top end dropped 100 or so rpm.View attachment 98259 View attachment 98260 View attachment 98261 If this thing :steamer:'s at the field again......:laughing:.
Hey man, I can't watch video, set to private. Charlie

Exagpilot

New to GSN!
Good days in the shop don't necessarily mean a good day at the field :face-palm:. Me and my buddy went to fly his Edge and my Extra yesterday evening and boy what a futile endeavor :gnashing:. Nothing was crashed :) but nothing made it off the ground :(. Think I will get :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: and stare at my dog in my shop today :blank:.

Nothing all that bad really but the heat and humidity made even the simple most arduous. Both planes could have got in the air but we did not let the heat / humidity fry and suffocate our brains enough to do something stupid like fly a plane with a known issue!

One of the two Lipo packs on the Edge would not charge to full capacity (New pack but I did not check it or charge it before tuning the engine :face-palm:) and got down to 5% so I think it is DONE. My BAD. The Extra's DL50 ran awesome in the driveway but went to fly it and the same issue popped up on the ground as it did in the air when I maiden a month ago. Engine leans excessively at 20/25% throttle and loses power but almost picks back up immediately at about 30/40% throttle. It actually died when I was taxing around checking prior to roll out for lift off. Sounds like an air leak but I suspect the check valve just before the HS jet nozzle to be faulty or something keeping it from properly seating at all throttle positions. There was a whole bunch of metal shavings, dirt particles and crud when I dismantled it. I may have damaged the check valve my self when I shot carb cleaner in to the HS jet but I doubt it because the problem in performance was pre-existing. Going to put a new carb on it but man I just need to throw down and get a DA50 and be DONE. Getting tired of not being able to post in that other thread ya know :yesss:.
Yea we had a bad evening, but we were smart enough not to fly something when you know it's not right, so that was a win in the long run! We are gonna get both of those SOB going tomorrow evening though, damnit! Lol

here is you a cheeseburger

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
After about 4 years and 11-12 gallons with my 71" slick I think my plug cap is worn out on the DLE35. Pretty dirty inside and the spring and rubber cap seem compromised. I put it back together along with a new fuel tank and it will only run at idle for a short amount of time. It could be my new pickup clunk... I blew some air into the tank through the vent line and it had to build up a fair amount of pressure before fuel came out the detached outlet line to to carb. Curious if these flow master clunks are not very efficient?
007e4f2ae990082f37b5d863ccfd6c3f.jpg

Top is the flowmaster from eflight
Middle is the fortitude I had previously
Bottom is a TDRC which isn't filtered. I believe.
Wanted a felt version so I put the flowmaster in a TDRC tank with viton line.

Ordered a new cap and ignition.

Might try and do a pressure test with the different clunks to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk