• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Actually "metal off metal" would be more accurate. Loose or "oversized" plug caps can cause "Arching" and result in RFI. Also keep in mind that the higher the input voltage the higher the voltage to the spark plug.

Examples..

Input- 6VDC = 12 to 14KV. That's potentially 14,000 volts to plug.

Input- 8VDC = 16 to 20KV. That's potentially 20,000 volts to plug and greater potential for "arching" in the plug cap from a loose fit.

True. I did see fretting on the plug cap, I'll have to look closer for arching. I tightened the spring, goes on with more effort. I do want to believe that the looser cap could have made my radio loose connection briefly two-three separate times, and why my first flight was flawless.. hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Good luck with the first flight they are never easy.
Is that Precision aerobatics from Australia if it is I have a Addiction XL best plane I have ever owned you will love it great and will fly better than anything you have ever owned. Trust me.
Yes that's the one. And yes they are awesome planes. Super light and loaded with carbon!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
True. I did see fretting on the plug cap, I'll have to look closer for arching. I tightened the spring, goes on with more effort. I do want to believe that the looser cap could have made my radio loose connection briefly two-three separate times, and why my first flight was flawless.. hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same problem with an RCGF26 in a friends Edge in which I am the owner now (Trade for building his PAU Edge). I took the high road and put an RcExel ignition on it . Problems solved.

0702170125-00.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Speaking of Edge's. I ended up after all getting this sweet little plane :rolleyes:. The few flights that were put on it were rough on the airframe and some fuel system problems developed (air leak at the T fitting and fuel dot cap). I'm getting all the little issues solved...:black-eye:

Started by adding a third "fill" line to the tank. The engine now chokes and starts fine again. Was using a hand electric starter on it :gnashing:.

This 18x9 Falcon carbon was a dyno :steamer: so I plugged all the holes and found true center and got it to balance perfectly.

Re slotted a vortec spinner to fit the Falcon prop.......More to come.....

0930170153-00.jpg 0930170152-00.jpg 0930170158-00.jpg 0930170159-00.jpg 0930170159-01.jpg 0930170203-00.jpg 0930170203-01.jpg 0930170205-00.jpg 0930170206-00.jpg 0930170206-01.jpg

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The elevator halves were poorly hinged and did not line up with each other laterally causing left side to travel down further and right side up further. Since I like a bunch of down elevator for 3D / tumbles I removed the right elevator and re hinged it to match the left. Both halves travel equally now. I also reinforced the attachment tabs.

0930170454-00.jpg 0930170454-01.jpg 0930170506-00.jpg 0930170506-01.jpg 0930170509-00.jpg 0930170509-01.jpg 0930170508-00.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Speaking of Edge's. I ended up after all getting this sweet little plane :rolleyes:. The few flights that were put on it were rough on the airframe and some fuel system problems developed (air leak at the T fitting and fuel dot cap). I'm getting all the little issues solved...:black-eye:

Started by adding a third "fill" line to the tank. The engine now chokes and starts fine again. Was using a hand electric starter on it :gnashing:.

This 18x9 Falcon carbon was a dyno :steamer: so I plugged all the holes and found true center and got it to balance perfectly.

Re slotted a vortec spinner to fit the Falcon prop.......More to come.....

View attachment 99163 View attachment 99164 View attachment 99165 View attachment 99166 View attachment 99167 View attachment 99168 View attachment 99169 View attachment 99170 View attachment 99171 View attachment 99172
Every time I see guys at the field using a starter on a gas engine at the field I cringe. While the smaller gassers I can understand, we have guys that use them on 85cc' and 111's. These aren't guys that just physically can't flip one, they just can't tune one good enough that it will start. If you have to use a starter on your 111 or it won't start, something is wrong.

BalsaDust

Guy at our fun fly last weekend was starting his dle 170 with an electric starter. He had it on pipes and the tune and prop where way wrong for the engine. From 1/2-3/4 throttle the engine surged horribly and from 3/4-full throttle it prop ripped so bad that I was tempted to get out some ear plugs.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It is unbelievably how bad some engines are tuned and are still able to run and the guys that know the least have the most complicated setups. And icing on the cake is when one of these guys tell how well their engine runs or even worse he starts giving you advice.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Every time I see guys at the field using a starter on a gas engine at the field I cringe. While the smaller gassers I can understand, we have guys that use them on 85cc' and 111's. These aren't guys that just physically can't flip one, they just can't tune one good enough that it will start. If you have to use a starter on your 111 or it won't start, something is wrong.

The RCGF26 started flawlessly by hand at first. When the first owner went to using a starter it raised my eyebrow. I am a firm believer now of having 3 fuel line tanks for gas .