• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

IMG_1266.JPG

heard something rattling in the wing of my 55cc profile. Found this which is the pin at the end of the wing tube phenolic to keep it from going to far into the wing.
IMG_1267.JPG

covering is cut back. It was hard to cut into a pristine covering job.
IMG_1268.JPG

Some of the sheer web removed to get to the end of the phenolic. Didn't take any pics of the repairs but basically I glued the pin back in then glued in some bracing around it to keep it from coming loose again.
IMG_1269.JPG

Overall I'm happy with it but it still sucks to have to cut into a good wing.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have an Addiction XL landed a little hard on Monday and heard a crack, the gear was still on and straight and everything looked good. Put the plane away and when I can had a good look, well had to replace the three front bulkheads. Let me just say took me 2 long days and it was so small and fine work, made the bulkheads from 1/32 ply and a little carbon reinforcement. It's all back together and ready to fly again today.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 99145
heard something rattling in the wing of my 55cc profile. Found this which is the pin at the end of the wing tube phenolic to keep it from going to far into the wing.
View attachment 99146
covering is cut back. It was hard to cut into a pristine covering job.
View attachment 99147
Some of the sheer web removed to get to the end of the phenolic. Didn't take any pics of the repairs but basically I glued the pin back in then glued in some bracing around it to keep it from coming loose again.
View attachment 99148
Overall I'm happy with it but it still sucks to have to cut into a good wing.
Have to agree with you cutting into a new wing is not fun, but sometimes you just have to do it. The only thing is is the other side ok. Nice fix.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well the gas pump is almost done just have to wait for the urethane to dry. The electrical is all done and battery checked out ok. Can you believe I was sitting down ready to wire up the switch, motor and battery and I could not remember how connect a DP/DS six pin switch, I had to get out the multimeter and figure it out again but it is done and working. When all is dry it will be assembled and ready for use hopefully it works for a while. Just have to get the connections for the tank and fuel line and then assemble it to the jerrycan.
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1802.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Finished up my Precision Aerobatics Extra MX tonight. Hopefully I'll find some time this weekend to get it in the air.
Good luck with the first flight they are never easy.
Is that Precision aerobatics from Australia if it is I have a Addiction XL best plane I have ever owned you will love it great and will fly better than anything you have ever owned. Trust me.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
So I was looking into my 73" laser glitch some more (imagine that). My plug cap goes on super easy.... could it be that over a few flights the plug cap spring loosened enough to cause some fretting to make my radio lockout briefly??? It was always much much easier than my DLE cap. Keep in mind the engine ran flawlessly all the time. But could that metal on metal be my answer???
I took apart my deans connector assy (A123 to two rx plugs into one receiver) and didn't find anything worth writing home about. But made the same style with a XT60 connector instead and new wiring.
The receiver is in my carbon cub, and no rx issues.
1d231c2896b2730a7951b603b06ff147.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
So I was looking into my 73" laser glitch some more (imagine that). But could that metal on metal be my answer???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually "metal off metal" would be more accurate. Loose or "oversized" plug caps can cause "Arching" and result in RFI. Also keep in mind that the higher the input voltage the higher the voltage to the spark plug.

Examples..

Input- 6VDC = 12 to 14KV. That's potentially 14,000 volts to plug.

Input- 8VDC = 16 to 20KV. That's potentially 20,000 volts to plug and greater potential for "arching" in the plug cap from a loose fit.