• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp

Oh NO!!

I too seen the notice regarding Reno. This is not a good development. Are we doomed?
View attachment 101305

Not Good at ALL!!

There was a time not long ago when probably 90% of everything bought went through HH or Tower in some way. The last few years have seen a major increase in private on line vendors. And with other major outlets selling r/c related products, just today I saw DJI quads in Walmart. All my purchases are through other outlets and have been for several years. The real wonder to me is how they have lasted this long.
As a matter of fact, the only thing I have left that is related to Hobbico is all my Futaba gear. Hope it stays around somewhere.

All my Futaba Gear as well... :eek:

Have to agree with you when I got into the hobby and many years after that 90 % of my stuff come from them but in the last 10 to 15 years nothing from them except for two O.S. gas motors . So like you said what have they been living off.

They still have a lot of vital products, especially for building.

Sounds like they are trying to restructure and sell the company, which could mean many things. Overall I've seen them make an effort to compete with Horizons BNF planes with their "ReadyLink" but it was pretty convoluted. I believe competition is good, but they dropped with ball for the underdog Horizon in technology, and it is a very techy world now with new products being released all the time and the advancement of online ordering with free shipping. Horizon can take over, but I hope they can adopt some vital brands to the RC world and maybe employ some of those from Hobbico if so.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This one right here would work but you would have to run an 11x6 prop. its not going to slow down as well though but will help it wad up tighter in high energy stuff.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-sys...ner-airplane/3542-1200kv-outrunner-motor.html

These two will work on a 13" prop. First one is the way I would go as I prefer the bolt on prop adapter but if you want to save some money and don't mind a prop collet then the second one will work just fine.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-3542-1000kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-d3542-6-1000kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html

I'm getting ready to try on my next one of that plane a 3536 outrunner instead of the 3542 just as I have one on hand. A buddy and I have talked and we feel it will be more than adequate power for this and will save a little weight but I'm not going to recommend it to anyone until I have tried it myself.
Thank you that really helps I can continue to see what I need and what I need to buy.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
On a different note... I ordered a 3D printer!! I am very excited! Creality CR-10S. Should be quite the learning curve, but pretty excited to start whistling up some random gizmos and trinkets... or a plane!
https://3dlabprint.com/shop/zivko-edge-hannes-arch-replica/
How cool is that?

Not fair... I want one.
impatient-smiley-emoticon.gif

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Not fair... I want one.
View attachment 101307

I've been twiddling with the idea of getting one for years, and to be honest, I finally just said what the heck when I saw the article in the AMA magazine where a guy was talking about the CR-10. My decision to get the same style but improved was because there was a very large following online, although a bit more expensive than the cheap DIY brands (ANET 8, Tronxy X3), this one Creality CR-10S) seemed to have the best reviews as far a quality... and then to add free open source CAD (Onshape and Blender) and free open source Stitching software (Cura) to use really pushed me over the edge to get on board with the 3D printing revolution. I have always wanted to learn CAD and this is the fun way to learn with all the YouTube tutorials these days!!!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've been twiddling with the idea of getting one for years, and to be honest, I finally just said what the heck when I saw the article in the AMA magazine where a guy was talking about the CR-10. My decision to get the same style but improved was because there was a very large following online, although a bit more expensive than the cheap DIY brands (ANET 8, Tronxy X3), this one Creality CR-10S) seemed to have the best reviews as far a quality... and then to add free open source CAD (Onshape and Blender) and free open source Stitching software (Cura) to use really pushed me over the edge to get on board with the 3D printing revolution. I have always wanted to learn CAD and this is the fun way to learn with all the YouTube tutorials these days!!!
The thing about these 3D printers that really entices me is the fact the possibilities are basically limited only to your own creativity.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
On a different note... I ordered a 3D printer!! I am very excited! Creality CR-10S. Should be quite the learning curve, but pretty excited to start whistling up some random gizmos and trinkets... or a plane!
https://3dlabprint.com/shop/zivko-edge-hannes-arch-replica/
How cool is that?
So I just watched all the videos from the link you provided. What a completely kick ass machine. I wonder though... will it print me some more red headed 3w's? Seriously speaking, to be able to design and print and fly your own design plane.... How cool is that?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I didn't get much of an opportunity this afternoon to work on the Big Yak like I had hoped and planned. It seems my youngest daughter had other ideas on how I would spend a rain day off from work. Being she is now a new home owner, she saw fit to keep Daddy busy hanging smoke alarms, new window blinds, caulking the her tub and counter in her bathroom.... taking care of some window issues. Wow, I may have to go to work just to get a little relaxation going on. LOL. Well worth it though. I love seeing all my kids succeed and make progress in their lives.

I did however get the exhaust extensions put on the L-80's on the Behemoth Yak (2). You all can see from the photos why I opted to put them on. I really didn't get too much crud on the bottom of the plane, but I sure did get a build up at the back bottom edge of the cowl. The extensions should help with this.

Before....

20180110_194310.jpg 20180110_194320.jpg 20180110_194333.jpg

And after....

20180110_200337.jpg 20180110_200348.jpg 20180110_200402.jpg

I need to stop by the auto parts store tomorrow to pick up some screw clamps. They are a pretty snug fit, but knowing my luck I would probably lose them without some sort of clamps. It looks as though I will have another rain day home from work tomorrow. Maybe.... just maybe I can hide with no interferences and get the canopy replaced. LOL

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G