• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

tylerzx9r

100cc
Terry, I know you have answered me before on this... but, In the picture of the canopy where you show both your work, and the Yellow finished one, do you then apply covering over the top of the canopy and hatch to make the seam a nice even transition?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry, I know you have answered me before on this... but, In the picture of the canopy where you show both your work, and the Yellow finished one, do you then apply covering over the top of the canopy and hatch to make the seam a nice even transition?

Nope, no covering on my canopy at all. I will show how to blend in the leading edge of the PETG shell soon with minimal use of filler at that joint. If you want the front lip to completely disappear it should be done and blended in before glassing the hatch. Real planes have a hatch that opens and has an outline so I actually prefer not to have the hatch fully smooth. I'll post a pic with the tape and junk removed soon.....

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
All tape and everything removed and it looks pretty good. Nice thing about Goop is you can run your finger along any excess that squeezes out and it pills up and rubs off. Notice I have a weak 1/16" hanging over at the bottom This will be carefully trimmed with a razor blade and then sanded flush with a block.

One other step that I will do now is put some goop in a syringe and lay a bead of that around the inside of the canopy where the PETG meets the wood. I will let the clearcoat cure for another day first though because the goop is solvent based and it will eat at the fresh clearcoat.

_DSC0848.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0845.JPG
    _DSC0845.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 311
  • _DSC0846.JPG
    _DSC0846.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 343
  • _DSC0847.JPG
    _DSC0847.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 301
  • _DSC0849.JPG
    _DSC0849.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 329

nebwake

70cc twin V2
Man would I love to have one of these, but I cant even get servos mounted in a plane that Ive had fixed for a month now! I hope you ate still kitting stuff out in a few years when my kids are older and I have some time on my hands again terry!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
All tape and everything removed and it looks pretty good. Nice thing about Goop is you can run your finger along any excess that squeezes out and it pills up and rubs off. Notice I have a weak 1/16" hanging over at the bottom This will be carefully trimmed with a razor blade and then sanded flush with a block.

One other step that I will do now is put some goop in a syringe and lay a bead of that around the inside of the canopy where the PETG meets the wood. I will let the clearcoat cure for another day first though because the goop is solvent based and it will eat at the fresh clearcoat.

View attachment 6496
This...."THIS" my friend is freaking gorgeous! I used to really enjoy building, but my favorite of all builds was when it was narrowing down to the final stages and I could sit back and "envision" the scheme and the colors and the clear blue sky all around it. Then pulling the covering iron, heat gun, trim tool and all the rolls of that precious colored film out and going to work. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be doing a covering job on this beauty. Not many I would say that about, but this would be so fun.:way_to_go::way_to_go::way_to_go::way_to_go::way_to_go: