• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

WE ALL NEED TO ACT TO SAVE THE HOBBY

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
The Congress just extended the current FAA Authorization until July 15. So there is still time to write both your Senators and Your Representative in the House. It is important to write both because if the Senate does not change the wording it could still be done in the reconciliation between the Senate and House versions. If you haven't written them do it now.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
This is just my personal feelings but let it be known my personal feelings have come to reality ever since this "dictation" began.

The "hobby" as most of us know it has been a luxury and remains a luxury. Many of us can afford this luxury and many that could not in the past now can be it through technology, foreign markets, etc... etc...
With the ever changing outlook on the future and the extreme tension that 911 brought we are now seeing our government act in a way that is not democratic but martial. I have not a fear but am deeply saddened that we are going to loose this luxury in the not to distant future. No word nor volume of rhetoric to the authorities of justice and law are going to persuade what has already been deemed a threat to national security in the minds of these authorities. The contributions made by all of us in the many threads throughout the websites that host model aviation is futility in the best sense of the word. Please do not mistake me every one but it is just about certain that we as model enthusiasts will be just that but not legal active pilots of these model aircraft's unless a privilege status is endowed or earned. The general public is not the motivational force for these events that directly affect us. It is a government with fear of the general public that is the motivational force of these events. Now knowing if the intention of these events are truly done with the security of the nation as whole in mind is a question I have not a clue as to the answer. The course the government is taking does seem all encompassing in trying to "control" the general population. Our personal freedoms are getting quite the beating in these times.
@Daytonarc Thank you for your vigil and I truly do not want to seem pessimistic but the course and the actions of our governing system is holding true to the author of my dearest belief system.

@49dimes well said! Nothing that I can add. I have contacted via email both N.C. Senators and District 2 House member. Actually extended and invitation to them to visit our field for educational/orientation purposes. We will see if I even receive an email back acknowledging I contacted them. Not expecting a visit, but offering an opportunity for PR in an election year never hurts.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
@49dimes well said! Nothing that I can add. I have contacted via email both N.C. Senators and District 2 House member. Actually extended and invitation to them to visit our field for educational/orientation purposes. We will see if I even receive an email back acknowledging I contacted them. Not expecting a visit, but offering an opportunity for PR in an election year never hurts.
Same thing here, I think if they would jump on a buddy box they might see our side and I would love to share it.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
This is just my personal feelings but let it be known my personal feelings have come to reality ever since this "dictation" began.

The "hobby" as most of us know it has been a luxury and remains a luxury. Many of us can afford this luxury and many that could not in the past now can be it through technology, foreign markets, etc... etc...
With the ever changing outlook on the future and the extreme tension that 911 brought we are now seeing our government act in a way that is not democratic but martial. I have not a fear but am deeply saddened that we are going to loose this luxury in the not to distant future. No word nor volume of rhetoric to the authorities of justice and law are going to persuade what has already been deemed a threat to national security in the minds of these authorities. The contributions made by all of us in the many threads throughout the websites that host model aviation is futility in the best sense of the word. Please do not mistake me every one but it is just about certain that we as model enthusiasts will be just that but not legal active pilots of these model aircraft's unless a privilege status is endowed or earned. The general public is not the motivational force for these events that directly affect us. It is a government with fear of the general public that is the motivational force of these events. Now knowing if the intention of these events are truly done with the security of the nation as whole in mind is a question I have not a clue as to the answer. The course the government is taking does seem all encompassing in trying to "control" the general population. Our personal freedoms are getting quite the beating in these times.
@Daytonarc Thank you for your vigil and I truly do not want to seem pessimistic but the course and the actions of our governing system is holding true to the author of my dearest belief system.

Damn Kelly! Did you go to law school or something? You sound all educated and stuff. Where that come from?:D

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
We don't have to move, just dump the ama. If everyone pulled their memberships, that would send a message that we want people that represent us. If the ama has clearly chosen multirotor and fpv, then fixed wing and heli pilots need to form a scale model association and hire good lobbyists. The trolls can chime in now.

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Got a response from Senator Bill Nelson posted below.

Dear Mr. _____:

Thank you for contacting me about the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reauthorization.

Authorization for the FAA is due to expire on March 31, 2016. To address this issue, the Senate and the House of Representatives recently passed H.R. 4721, the Airport and Airway Extension Act of 2016. This short term extension bill, expected to be signed by the President, will authorize the FAA through July 15, 2016.

On March 16, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation approved S. 2658, the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2016. Senator Thune and I introduced this bipartisan bill which contains a number of provisions to enhance safety, protect consumers, invest in airport infrastructure, and safely integrate unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), also known as drones, into the national airspace.

The bill expedites the development of a pilot records database, encourages global standards to improve cockpit access rules, and calls for better mental health screening of commercial pilots. It ensures better tracking of aircrafts, focuses on runway safety and reducing runway incursions. The bill also enhances training for flight attendants to better identify incidents of human trafficking.

This legislation creates standards for consumer drones by keeping them away from airports and critical infrastructure, while protecting privacy laws consistent with federal, state, and local regulations. It also calls for the development of a UAS traffic management system.

The reauthorization protects consumers by requiring refunds of paid baggage fees when baggage is not delivered as promised. It also requires airlines to provide consumers with a standardized disclosure of all bag, change, seat, and ticketing fees.

The bill addresses the needs of passengers with disabilities by: identifying best practices to improve accessibility, ensuring personnel training, and establishing an advisory committee to improve air travel for disabled passengers. The bill also increases funding for airports, facilities, and equipment while broadening the use of passenger facility charge funds to address the need of our airports.

The FAA Reauthorization Act of 2016 now awaits consideration before the full Senate. I will be sure to keep your views in mind at that time and please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,

Bill Nelson