• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

WE ALL NEED TO ACT TO SAVE THE HOBBY

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
So I sent this

Dear Senator Nelson.

Thank you for your response to my concerns regarding the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reauthorization. However I do not believe your response actually addressed the major concerns I have. The first of which is the establishment of a 400’ altitude limit for ALL UAS without the appropriate exception for model aircraft being flown within line of sight within the safety program of a Community Based Organization (CBO). Model aircraft have been flown for recreational hobby purposes for over 80 years. When done so within line of sight and under the safety guidelines of a CBO the safety record is impeccable. Limiting recreational flying that is done in a safe manner to a 400’ altitude will eliminate many safe types of model aircraft operation such as aerobatic flight, scale modeling contests, model jet flight and model glider operation. None of these types of UAS are a safety issue for the airspace and eliminating them with this legislation will destroy major segments of the model aircraft hobby resulting in economic harm to small companies and the loss of jobs.

Another onerous provision of the proposed legislation is the requirement that ALL UAS manufacturers get FAA approval for All UAS. There again needs to at least be an exception for model aircraft flown within line of sight under the safety guidelines of a CBO. Many model aircraft enthusiasts actually build their own models. Some come in the form of a kit from a manufacturer that the hobbyist builds and modifies to suite his preferences. Some model aircraft are built from a set of plans and some are scratch built from the design of the individual hobbyist. Almost ready to fly model aircraft are almost universally built and or sold by small family businesses. Requiring any type of FAA certification process for any of these types of model aircraft would be so costly and cumbersome that businesses will close, jobs will be lost and Model aviation for recreational purpose may cease to exist.

The advent of new technologies has caused a situation where some UAS are flown irresponsibly. Legislation to curtail unsafe operation of UAS and the commercial operation of UAS that could interfere with the safety of the airspace seems reasonable. But flying and building model aircraft flown within line of sight under the safety program of a CBO does not cause any unsafe conditions and to apply the language of the current version of the proposed Senate bill to these types of model aircraft would be detrimental to the safe enjoyment of a great family orientated hobby and would cause the needless economic harm to small companies resulting in lost jobs and companies closing.

There are currently 129 model aircraft flying clubs in Florida listed by the Academy of Model Aeronautics (A CBO). Florida is home to dozens of small family businesses that make a living building and selling model aircraft products designed for hobby purposes. There are hundreds of hobby shops in Florida that rely on model aircraft for a substantial part of their business. The current version of the Senate Bill, as written, will have a negative impact on all of these people and businesses without contributing to the safety of the airspace. The FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 Specifically recognized that model aircraft, flown for recreational purposes within the safety guidelines of a CBO posed no threat to the airspace and should be exempt from regulation. The current Senate bill does not include this exemption.

In the interest of hobbyists and small businesses across the State, I ask that you take this into consideration and sponsor an amendment to the Bill specifically exempting UAS that are flown within line of sight, under the safety guidelines of a CBO from the 400’ altitude restriction and the requirements of FAA certification of any type.

Sincerely,

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I sent letter's as well as an invitation to come fly my aircraft via buddy box to all my state representatives, so far no response. The last time around I not only received responses but a couple phone call's. With the lack of response this time around it make's me wonder if they have all bailed on us little guy's.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
An email from AMA I received a few minutes ago.

Dear AMA members,

We want to provide you with an update on recent congressional action on the new FAA Reauthorization Act of 2016 (SB 2658). Last week, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, & Transportation, which has jurisdiction over the FAA, sent SB 2658 to the Senate floor for consideration. While the proposed bill affirms the importance of a community-based approach to managing the recreational aeromodeling community, there are some provisions that could be further improved and some new provisions that could be problematic for the aeromodeling community.

AMA is working closely with members of Congress and their staffs to achieve the best possible result for our hobby. AMA is making progress and members of Congress have been receptive to our views.

For instance, we have made positive strides with the 400-foot altitude limitation in the draft proposed Senate bill. Although this onerous provision initially applied to everyone, "we have made good progress in working to secure an exemption for AMA members after engaging the leadership of the Senate Commerce, Science, & Transportation Committee. There is still room for improvement and we are using all of our available means to ensure improvements are made. As more develops, we will provide you with greater details.

In the near future, we may also ask you to engage with Congress and advocate for the hobby. Please stay tuned to find out how you can help during this process.

As always, thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Maybe someone can figure out whom these people of the leadership committee is and post them so we can email them as well.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Here are the sponsors of a new version of the SB 2658 bill in regards to us.
Sens. John Thune (R-S.D.), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.)

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Check this out guys, click on the S.2658 Thune-Nelson Substitute(modified).pdf then read pages 87-95, this was voted on today I believe. In short I believe it leaves us to following the CBO in our flying ability and all the safety and documentation from mfg's are gone as far as I can tell.

The following link is where that version of the bill is at and what it is a part of in the committee session.
http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/hearings?ID=66D459CF-53AC-4D73-9B96-D2B5C9835999

Last edited: