• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question? What's good in cheap servos these days?

Rusty 73

100cc
500??? wowsa

Similar MKS would be
http://www.mksservosusa.com/product.php?productid=27&cat=4&page=1

The MKS HV777 would be nice for the rudder but that's HV so it would be back to 2 cell Lipo's if I went that route instead of the 6.6V Life packs. The HV servos are all monster torque, holy smokes, i haven't looked at this stuff in a while

Hello Bartman

I'm currently running MKS599 using LIFE A123 battery and haven't had and issues .
If i had to change servos again I would go back to coreless servo's MKS , http://www.mksservosusa.com/product.php?productid=245&cat=3&page=1 .

You have to use good servos , it make all the difference in flying.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I just ordered some servo arms from John at Promodeler. He called me and wanted to double check I ordered the right servo arms for my application. After talking with him, he said he had something else that may work better for me. Usually most businesses wont take the time to double check and let alone call the customer and just ship it. Goes to show John cares about his customers and is delivering product support for some very nice servos. I would like to try some servos out on my next plane one day.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I just ordered some servo arms from John at Promodeler. He called me and wanted to double check I ordered the right servo arms for my application. After talking with him, he said he had something else that may work better for me. Usually most businesses wont take the time to double check and let alone call the customer and just ship it. Goes to show John cares about his customers and is delivering product support for some very nice servos. I would like to try some servos out on my next plane one day.
That is awesome. Not many businesses (as you mentioned) would step up to the plate like this.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A conventional servo motor has a steel core armature wrapped with wire that spins inside the magnets. In a coreless design, the armature uses a thin wire mesh that forms a cup that spins around the outside of the magnets eliminating the heavy steel core. This design results in smoother operation and faster response time.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
A conventional servo motor has a steel core armature wrapped with wire that spins inside the magnets. In a coreless design, the armature uses a thin wire mesh that forms a cup that spins around the outside of the magnets eliminating the heavy steel core. This design results in smoother operation and faster response time.

that all makes sense, and thanks for explaining the difference between standard servo motors and coreless ones, but why would @rusty73 go back to coreless from brushless other than the money he'd be saving?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The only difference is a brushless-motor is simpler because it uses semi-conductor (electronic) switches to achieve commutation while the coreless-motor servo uses the same old-fashioned brushes and commutator ring to switch the fields. ... the windings are switching from one to the other.

Less hardware to wear out. It's a very clean design.

The main advantage of a coreless servo is that it is fast.