• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question? What's good in cheap servos these days?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'm surprised @49dimes hasn't thrown the blue bird servo pitch.
laughing-smiley-face.gif

Rusty 73

100cc
I have have the 599 brushless servos and found them to be very sensitive , added alot 25 -30 expo to smooth out the servo and still is jumpy . I need the servos to be very smooth in the center for iMac not 3D flying .

My savox 1230-31 coreless servos, i don't get that super touchy feeling in the centre even using same expo.
Both perform flawless but i but like the smoother gears on the MKS than the savox with a cordless motor .
here is some good info on servos , worth a read .
https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-servos.html

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I have have the 599 brushless servos and found them to be very sensitive , added alot 25 -30 expo to smooth out the servo and still is jumpy . I need the servos to be very smooth in the center for iMac not 3D flying .

My savox 1230-31 coreless servos, i don't get that super touchy feeling in the centre even using same expo.
Both perform flawless but i but like the smoother gears on the MKS than the savox with a cordless motor .

What radio are you using? If you have the finest resolution servos out there and the radio is not up to the same resolution you're servos wont feel buttery smooth like hot oil glistening of a basted turkey... am I right or am I right @stangflyer ?!??! :)

Also, That was a good read on the link

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

Thanks for that it good to do a refresh on servo technology.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
What radio are you using? If you have the finest resolution servos out there and the radio is not up to the same resolution you're servos wont feel buttery smooth like hot oil glistening of a basted turkey... am I right or am I right @stangflyer ?!??! :)

Also, That was a good read on the link
Yes sir, you are correct. Hypothetical example... if I have servos capable of 4096 resolution and a radio system capable of only 1024, my servos will not be able to reach their full potential. As they are a listening device. They can do what you want. But can't because the radio does not have the ability to send that information. If however you have a radio system that has the intelligence to send that resolution to the servos and they have the same capabilities, what you get is liquid flowing smoothness like you have never seen. Now lets take yet another scenario. This comes as first hand experience. The Hitec Aurora (not the 9x like mine) has 1024 resolution. Add to that a Hitec HS7954SH. What you get is rock steady beast strong dependable servos that jit..jit.jit from step to step because the Aurora is 1024 resolution. Take away the Hitec Aurora and add in something like the Graupner MZ24 and 32 that has true 4096 resolution, you now have smooth as a babies butt flowing liquid servo operation. Super cool thing about a radio and the capability it has is, if the radio has 4096 res. and let's say you have a servo that is not necessarily the same... because of the radio being so precise, it will make your less than 4096 res. servos seem as though they are. Remember, they are to some extent just a listening device. This is why in total fact I am so absolutely sold on the MZ32 and the programmable Hitec servos. My sons big 222 powered Edge and my new 330 are just glass smooth. I can't wait to get the receivers for the rest of my planes. Especially the Behemoth Yak and the Sukhoi.

Rusty 73

100cc
Thanks guys i too have too press refresh when remembering about servos , good articles.

So the JETI DS-16 is 4096 resolution

After rereading the servo article and flying coreless servos for the better of a decade i have gotten use to the slower start they have compared to the hyper Brushless servo that are instantaneous speed which makes my flying less smooth .
The issue isn't my Jeti radio rather it's the pilot learning to adapte too this knife edge response my 599 give me.
Here a couple of pages of info .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 3.38.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 3.38.47 PM.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 263
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 3.46.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 3.46.22 PM.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 268

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks guys i too have too press refresh when remembering about servos , good articles.

So the JETI DS-16 is 4096 resolution

After rereading the servo article and flying coreless servos for the better of a decade i have gotten use to the slower start they have compared to the hyper Brushless servo that are instantaneous speed which makes my flying less smooth .
The issue isn't my Jeti radio rather it's the pilot learning to adapte too this knife edge response my 599 give me.
Here a couple of pages of info .
Look at the response time 0.08 sec for 60 degrees that is dam fast for a servo, that would make any one of us feel that we are over correcting, if we are use to flying standard speed servos. Can you not change in the radio slow the speed down ever so little until it meets your needs.

Rusty 73

100cc
I would love tot but Jeti doesn't post much info in adjusting these things, nothing in the manual or on Espirt Jeti vidios about adjust servo speed .

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I would love tot but Jeti doesn't post much info in adjusting these things, nothing in the manual or on Espirt Jeti vidios about adjust servo speed .
May I offer a little assistance? In my trusty old Hitec Aurora 9x and the new Graupner MZ32, there is a menu from a sub menu that will open a parameter for "SERVO SPEED". On the Hitec, a value of 0.0 to 7.0 can be selected. With 7.0 being the slowest. It increases in .1 increments. Example; 5.4 is slower than 4.3. Or 3.2 is faster than 6.8. Make sense? The Graupner is slightly different. But still same idea. I bought 2 new JR XG11's a couple of years ago. They also had that feature as well. Look in your menu's. I would be greatly surprised if the Jeti does not have servo speed selection as an option.