• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Who would be interested in an entirely new type of competition?

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
be careful with that. i mean it can get very very overwhelming very quickly. how many classes do you anticipate? how do you differentiate? where do you draw the line? if you assume classes like this based on airframe:

45"-52"
53"-64"
65"-75"
75"+

If that is assuming wingspan, you really need to look at other brands than 3dhs and EF as there will be a lot of discrepancy on that front. Then do you say any power system? any battery pack?

Then lets say you split it into 4 difficulties:

Beginner
Intermediate
Advanced
Unlimited

Now your talking about 16 classes. that is insane and it would be very difficult to get people to fill up all of those classes. So you would probably limit 48" class to just beginner, and eliminate 60" from unlimited. There are a lot of things to consider and making too many regulations can turn into a mess, which is one reason why there is no size limitations for IMAC. you can see what size limitations have done to pattern. Even though they have the 2m box, airframes can cost upwards of $2000 for competition level quality.

I can go on for days about it, but i think you need to be realistic about the number of classes to offer in response to keeping it simple. Also the more people in a class the more enjoyable it is for me, and i would assume a decent amount of the population interested in this. I still think this is an awesome idea, but there are a lot of problems that come up logistically when you start limiting aircraft size

Oh I hear you loud and clear and I wasn't making any assumptions at all, just brain storming. I like "KISS" methodology for sure. But we want to have it as fair and fun as possible. Those were all great points. I wouldn't want the same (apparent) inequities that IMAC gets a bad wrap for. Bottom line is that a pilot is going to have to decide what they can afford and or transport and compete with it. I'd like to see us come up with a good hybrid that works for everyone. It's not going to happen overnight.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
Oh I hear you loud and clear and I wasn't making any assumptions at all, just brain storming. I like "KISS" methodology for sure. But we want to have it as fair and fun as possible. Those were all great points. I wouldn't want the same (apparent) inequities that IMAC gets a bad wrap for. Bottom line is that a pilot is going to have to decide what they can afford and or transport and compete with it. I'd like to see us come up with a good hybrid that works for everyone. It's not going to happen overnight.

i think catering the different classes to different sizes would be best, say two per difficulty. smallest sizes would be for lower classes, and gradually get bigger. the only problem is that you are asking people to "buy up" into higher difficulty classes

gyro

GSN Contributor
Why not a simple, Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced as Cody suggested, where the maneuver difficulty is all the separates the classes. Max participation, Max fun!

dth7

Why not a simple, Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced as Cody suggested, where the maneuver difficulty is all the separates the classes. Max participation, Max fun!

That's what I was trying to say but not too well I guess. Yes, I agree with Cody.
Come with what you have, pick your class (difficulty), take your lumps with the weather and perform. A "good performance" in a $300 48" electric should score similar to a "good performance" in a $3000+ 91" gasser. It should be the pilot's job to present a quality performance to the judges that impresses and scores. It's the piloting not the receipt!

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
That's what I was getting at but too well I guess. It shouldn't emulate iMac but be a nice hybrid. Come with what you have, pick your class (difficulty), take your lumps with the weather and perform. A "good performance" in a 48" should score like a "good performance" in a 91"

there you go! some maneuvers will be easier, and some will be harder, depending on the size. It all balances out.
What about the name idea?

3DFC = 3 Dimensional Flight Challenge

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
like i said the performance factor is going to be different, not necessarily the judging. it would really stick for a 15-20 mph wind to be the deciding factor between a guy with a 48" plane and a 50cc plane. then you get back into the cost wars. that would get disheartening very quick and seems to go against the idea of this competition

dth7

The judging would be consistent throughout. Pilots in each class/ categories would be held to the same standards for the maneuvers. I don't get all the "wind" talk. This is the environment we operate in. If it is an outdoor (this could be expanded to include indoor events) event then you deal with the weather. We don't operate in a vacuum and if you choose to fly a smaller plane you should be able to do it without prejudice. That being said you are forced to work harder, it's a competition and if you want to win you have the choice to work harder with a more affordable plane (this may be all you can do). If you justify the cost of getting a larger, "easier" airframe that's up to you. Either way you can all compete, that's the point, to compete and get better, get help from others, watch and learn from better pilots. Unlike our current social trends participation is great but not all who participate should win! So let's build a system of competition that will be fun but offer some criteria to judge, score and award some winners. The rest can participate and have a blast. I certainly will have a great time no matter what I'm flying. If its blowing that day I'll put up the biggest thing I have. If its a 48" then I'll have some work to do. If someone is flying something bigger (easier) in my class I'll just have to fly better. If not I have participated in a fun performance oriented completion. Mission accomplished.

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

there you go! some maneuvers will be easier, and some will be harder, depending on the size. It all balances out.
What about the name idea?

3DFC = 3 Dimensional Flight Challenge

Hmmm. Good start. I think we'll have to throw some around. Perhaps a naming contest Mr. 3DRCF????? Lets see what Cody thinks. This is his baby as far as I'm concerned. I'm just very excited to be any help I can. I'm happy it was "born" in my car while he was reading one of my old reference books. This really is what I've been hoping for since my learning curve started accelerating about 6 months ago. I'm thrilled.

melter

New to GSN!
How about an "IROC" class. Spec. airframe and engine. Demo it in the first event and gauge interest in it going forward. Maybe an ARF and engine manufacturer would step up and help with sponsorship. This would remove inequities in equipment and bring a lot of recognition to an airframe and engine manufacturer. Radio system the choice of the pilot.

dth7

How about an "IROC" class. Spec. airframe and engine. Demo it in the first event and gauge interest in it going forward. Maybe an ARF and engine manufacturer would step up and help with sponsorship. This would remove inequities in equipment and bring a lot of recognition to an airframe and engine manufacturer. Radio system the choice of the pilot.

I didn't know this was you! Trouble maker. You got me.