• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Xpress does a BANSHEE build...

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Got some more time in the shop last night and got the right wing panel all hinged up, still have to seal it though. Also managed to get one elevator half ready to go.

I get the control horns test fitted in place prior to gluing them to ensure they center up over the hinge line properly. I also cut around the covering here to give the spreader plate something firm to grip onto.
20160128_193447.jpg

Sanding the control horns and the bottom of the spreader plate is important. Gives the glue something to bite into. One more test fit in place, then I mixed up some epoxy and glued them in.
20160128_193502.jpg
Make sure you wipe away the excess epoxy for a clean fit.

While the epoxy dries, I typically hook up one of the linkages to help keep all of the holes aligned with each other.
20160128_194244.jpg

Once the control horns were dry enough I removed the linkage and installed my servo. I always set fit the servo with screws and everything, then remove it all and saturate the screw holes with thin CA to give the screws something nice and hard to bite into. Makes the servo mount last a long time in my experience.
_MG_5554.JPG
I centered my servo and fitted the SWB arm next. I did have to cut out the servo arm slot a little bit wider to allow the arm to fit in place- I had to cut approximately 1/16". This will always vary depending on what servo you use, some you may not have to cut at all. Just be mindful if you do have to cut as there is a plywood doubler around the inside rim of the slot to reinforce it.

Servo centered, linkage centered, surface centered. Ready for flight.
_MG_5551.JPG

I have to say, I am deeply impressed with these servos. They are SOLID, there is zero slop whatsoever. Combined with the Maxima 6's 4096 resolution and 7ms response time, they make these servos blisteringly responsive and ultra precise and smooth.

They feature a soft startup function as well, so if your control surfaces are all out of whack when you first power up, they will slowly rotate back to center before coming fully responsive. One nice feature I think is how stiff the servo is when it's powered down- it really holds the control surface in place well. No flopping around when your transporting or moving the airplane around. Pretty excited to try them out and see how they perform in the air :cool:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Made a lot of progress last night. Wings and elevators are all 100% ready for flight, servo and all.

I like to do the method that Pilot RC suggest for cutting out aileron servo pockets, makes things look cleaner on the bottom side.
20160129_191354.jpg

Ironed down inside, keep it all in place. I ran my iron over all of the covering surrounding the pocket after I cut it out to keep it all sealed down.
20160129_191530.jpg

Aerobeez takes the liberty of installing pull string inside to make routing your servo wire easier.
20160129_191556.jpg

Servo extension hooked up and clipped in place. I have used heat shrink and tape in the past as well when securing extensions, but it really doesn't matter so long as the extensions are secured.
20160129_191635.jpg

Wire all pulled through!
20160129_191707.jpg

The last step is just to pop your servo in the pocket, drill holes for the screws, run the screws through the holes first, then saturate the holes with thin CA to harden them. Once I had the servo in its place, I set up my control horn (parallel to the hinge line!!!) and fitted my linkage, then centered the control surface to complete it.

Of course since I had both wing panels done and both elevator halves done, I had to slip them onto the airplane to see!!!

_MG_5558.jpg

_MG_5560.jpg

_MG_5565.jpg

She's almost complete!!!!!! Just have to get my engine and finish outfitting the fuselage!!!

------------

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_MG_5567.jpg

Somewhere in the process of getting the airplane setup for pictures I knocked a shovel over and it struck the canopy, breaking a chunk off of the plastic :eek::eek::eek::facepalm::bull::banghead: Guess I'll have to get a new canopy, not to thrilled about that :crying:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Sorry brother... I stepped on one before... Kinda hurts especially if the model isn't being made anymore. Luckily for you its a new model. Hopefully they still have some in stock and aren't sold out. Would suck to wait till next shipment.
Again sorry buddy.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I've taped it back together for now so it should hold up just fine, but will definitely be ordering a new canopy as soon as I can.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
It's ok man, I've kicked my 71" slick after warming up the engine... Had my "bunny boots" on and forgot to exaggerate my stepping over the fuse and wack!!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I made a little more progress yesterday, pretty much at a standstill right at this moment until I can get some more parts in the mail. Should have the engine ordered up this week :D:cool:

Rudder servo in its place. You always want to try and get this guy as centered in place as you can, and then center the arm to the fuselage, not the servo since the servo could still be slightly out of center.
_MG_5568.jpg
I've said it before and I'll say it again, make sure you wick thin CA into the screw holes to give the screws something solid to bite into. Failure to do so could allow a screw to round out the hole and basically be ineffective. The rudder servo on this airplane is particularly important as there is going to be tension on it from the pull/pull tables.

Rudder also go its control horns. This is another area you always want to take your time with and get the horns as centered in there as possible. Use a tape measure and do some trimming if need be to ensure they are all the same distance out from the rudder.
_MG_5570.jpg

That's all for now...

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
DA70, mufflers, and prop all ordered up!!! :banana:

Now to get everything together and figure out what I still need...