• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 20cc Edge 540 Profile “The Glitter”

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick will try to explain.
Take the tube and rub a very light layer of vaseline on it. Take note I said light just enough to look wet.
Then roll two wraps of saran-wrap on the tube as neat as possible. Ok what I am trying to explain is lay the tube down and then pull the Saran Wrap in the same direction as tube. Then roll the tube onto the Saran Wrap twice and cut off the rest.
Now use about 3 oz cloth it is not really that important how thick it is or how strong it is, just a tube so that you can slide the tube in easy without hitting the ribs. Cut the cloth 2 inches wide or buy 2 inch wide cloth with the edges sealed makes life a lot easier.
Ok hopefully I can explain this part clearly if not ask.
Ok before we start wrapping the tube we need masking tape and you will start 4 or 5 inch from one end so that when we are done we can hold onto the tube and pull the sleeve off.
Take the 2 inch wide cloth and set it up at an angle so that when it wraps around the the tube it overlaps 50%, the overlap needs to be one inch.
Ok 4 inches from the end of the tube at the correct angle use some masking tape and tape the cloth to the tube.
Ok wrap the tube all the way to the end and then use some masking tape to hold in place.
Note we will be be cutting 3 to 4 inches of either end to get a nice clean cut and good ends.
Now mix up some epoxy.
Use paint brush and brush just enough on to the cloth so that it looks wet and NO more. It must almost look dry.
When that is done pull out another length of Saran Wrap roll the tube into the Saran Wrap, 2 wraps again.
Now the important part, this makes the tube smooth and tight to the tube.
Take the masking tape and set it up in such a way that again it overlaps at about 50%.
Start at the exposed end of the tube. Tape to the tube and start wrapping all the way down down to the end. Hold the tape as tight as possible and straight no wrinkles and keep tight while wrapping all the way to the end.
Done. Let the sit for 24 hours.
Pull the masking tape of and Saran Wrap will come off as well. If the tube is wrapped nicely the tube will be smooth and flat.
Now pull the sleeve off the tube it will not be easy but it will come off. It has a tight fit which you want.
Ok now you have the sleeve with the Saran Wrap stuck on the inside.
Take a 12 inch long piece of wire with a hook on the end. Hook it to the Saran Wrap.
Hold the wire and rotate the tube around the wire. The Saran Wrap will now Wrap itself around the wire and pull out of the sleeve
Cut the ends off to the length you want and it is done. Try it, it will be a tight fit on the tube. If that is too tight you can add more wraps to the tube before wrapping with the cloth.
Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

I ran an RCGF 26cc beam mount on this one for a number of years, the beam did need widening slightly during the build. Was a great little engine and even better after the Bowman ring install.

Good to no. Very possible my buddy just got a dud that wouldn’t perform right. I have seen it with all of them and sometimes you get one that is strong as heck. My last dle 20 I had for the longest time felt like crap. Ran well but just not a lot of power. Mind you it was on a 8-1/2 pound plane. Then one day it just woke up though. Literally in one flight I noticed it started to pull harder and harder through the flights. I have always figured it was one that just needed longer to break in as it was around the 2-1/2 to 3 gallons of fuel through it that it happened.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Good to no. Very possible my buddy just got a dud that wouldn’t perform right. I have seen it with all of them and sometimes you get one that is strong as heck. My last dle 20 I had for the longest time felt like crap. Ran well but just not a lot of power. Mind you it was on a 8-1/2 pound plane. Then one day it just woke up though. Literally in one flight I noticed it started to pull harder and harder through the flights. I have always figured it was one that just needed longer to break in as it was around the 2-1/2 to 3 gallons of fuel through it that it happened.
If you would replace the ring with a Bowman one gallon of fuel with Lawnboy is all it takes to break in. I do this on all the RCGF's, DLE's, and CRRC's I have had. Slightly increased power and rpm but no fiddling with tuning later on, one hour on the stand and it is done.
Of course the Valach, GP, 3W, and DA I don't dare touch, to much money involved there to void the warranty.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
If you would replace the ring with a Bowman one gallon of fuel with Lawnboy is all it takes to break in. I do this on all the RCGF's, DLE's, and CRRC's I have had. Slightly increased power and rpm but no fiddling with tuning later on, one hour on the stand and it is done.
Of course the Valach, GP, 3W, and DA I don't dare touch, to much money involved there to void the warranty.

I remember my RCGF21cc being a lemon.... They did also say 20min ground break in period. I also read somewhere the the early models of the 10cc cylinders piston ring caught a little on the exhaust port. I did not look for this on mine. But my cylinder wall had casting pits in it and my ring looked scored. I was not impressed. Talked to Tom at VVRC where I had got it from and he told me to send it back for a refund or swap. Lets just say my only option was a swap turns out. I've been pretty pleased with the VVRC21cc, it currently doesn't have a home yet. It's either going into a DHC-2 beaver kit from Mustache Model Works (supposed to ship in June?) or this guy.
Interesting to hear you do 1hr on the stand. I know they recommend lawn boy, is that why you use it?

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick will try to explain.
Take the tube and rub a very light layer of vaseline on it. Take note I said light just enough to look wet.
Then roll two wraps of saran-wrap on the tube as neat as possible. Ok what I am trying to explain is lay the tube down and then pull the Saran Wrap in the same direction as tube. Then roll the tube onto the Saran Wrap twice and cut off the rest.
Now use about 3 oz cloth it is not really that important how thick it is or how strong it is, just a tube so that you can slide the tube in easy without hitting the ribs. Cut the cloth 2 inches wide or buy 2 inch wide cloth with the edges sealed makes life a lot easier.
Ok hopefully I can explain this part clearly if not ask.
Ok before we start wrapping the tube we need masking tape and you will start 4 or 5 inch from one end so that when we are done we can hold onto the tube and pull the sleeve off.
Take the 2 inch wide cloth and set it up at an angle so that when it wraps around the the tube it overlaps 50%, the overlap needs to be one inch.
Ok 4 inches from the end of the tube at the correct angle use some masking tape and tape the cloth to the tube.
Ok wrap the tube all the way to the end and then use some masking tape to hold in place.
Note we will be be cutting 3 to 4 inches of either end to get a nice clean cut and good ends.
Now mix up some epoxy.
Use paint brush and brush just enough on to the cloth so that it looks wet and NO more. It must almost look dry.
When that is done pull out another length of Saran Wrap roll the tube into the Saran Wrap, 2 wraps again.
Now the important part, this makes the tube smooth and tight to the tube.
Take the masking tape and set it up in such a way that again it overlaps at about 50%.
Start at the exposed end of the tube. Tape to the tube and start wrapping all the way down down to the end. Hold the tape as tight as possible and straight no wrinkles and keep tight while wrapping all the way to the end.
Done. Let the sit for 24 hours.
Pull the masking tape of and Saran Wrap will come off as well. If the tube is wrapped nicely the tube will be smooth and flat.
Now pull the sleeve off the tube it will not be easy but it will come off. It has a tight fit which you want.
Ok now you have the sleeve with the Saran Wrap stuck on the inside.
Take a 12 inch long piece of wire with a hook on the end. Hook it to the Saran Wrap.
Hold the wire and rotate the tube around the wire. The Saran Wrap will now Wrap itself around the wire and pull out of the sleeve
Cut the ends off to the length you want and it is done. Try it, it will be a tight fit on the tube. If that is too tight you can add more wraps to the tube before wrapping with the cloth.
Hopefully this helps.

WOW! Thanks for all the detail! Why the Spiral wrap and not two full length wraps? What do you clean the petroleum jelly up with?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
WOW! Thanks for all the detail! Why the Spiral wrap and not two full length wraps? What do you clean the petroleum jelly up with?
By wrapping it you can pull it tight around around the carbon tube and less epoxy to saturate it and lighter. Clean it with a rag and alcohol, even if it is not perfectly clean it just allows you to slide it in and out easier.

I ran an RCGF 26cc beam mount on this one for a number of years, the beam did need widening slightly during the build. Was a great little engine and even better after the Bowman ring install.
Like the graphics on the profile. Was the plane a kit or did you build it from plans.