• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Doc

50cc
Is it just the glue line and shadow at the back of your plug. It looks like you have tapered it in on the sides and your grand dads is straight according to the pix. Good job on the plug, that's a lot of work and there's a lot more to do.
Doc

Doc

50cc
Will you be using Solartex or do I recall reading that you might be using Koverall? I cant work with aromatic processes so I use Solatex and paint with Latex, I like the results with dope but the trips to the emergency room for lung malfunctions is such a bother. lol
Doc

Bipeguy03

150cc
@Doc, the cowling does tip in at the rear creating a cheek looking thing. Grampa's had it to as did the full scale. I'm not really sure of the reason it was done on the full scale, dad and my hypothesis is that Harold had trouble getting the cylinder head temps up, which running and engine cold can be as bad as running it too hot.

I'll be using Koverall and dope for the finish, mainly because it is what grampa used and I'm challenging myself to try and get as nice of a job done with it as he could... I'm not holding my breath on that one ;)

So after adding a little bit of foam around the inside of the ring to make the opening a little smaller and increasing the radius on the leading edge I called it as close as I can get it and set about glassing the plug. I used Epoxy resin and 1oz cloth I've the entire cowl, after it cures I'll set about body working it and get it ready to make the mold.

WP_20170104_004.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Very impressive work! I can with confidence suggest....these darn builds are a wagon full of work. And just about the time I figure I'm just so done...that inner ache to see the next step completed and the total outcome achieved, I get fired up again. I think it's a sickness. From the most recent progress you've made on the Krier, I am certain it's a complete addiction for you. Amazing work!!! I'm especially looking forward to your covering/paint work. I've never completed a from the box build with anything other than plastic film. I would love, honestly love to cover and paint a plane as you plan to on your build.

Seriously paying attention!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have painted my fair amount of planes started with Koverall and dope. If I may suggest koverall is ok but dope is difficult to especially in the corners. Use Stits paint and the non certified cloth it is ten times easier and the paint goes on easy and very smooth. And it sticks well and does not pull away from the material in the corners. It the only way.