• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
So I'm sure you're all getting tired of seeing pictures of the empennage but I'm slowly getting it ironed out. The tail is glued on along with the filler block. The elevator control horn/joiner is permanently in (which I'm sure is going to be fun to cover around lol) and I've got it all filled and sanded out. Spent my free time this afternoon putting in some small bits and pieces, and I think the empennage is down to the lower tail brace wire mount and the tail wheel tiller arm.

389.jpg

Tail glued on and all the filler blocks in, before any sanding and filling.

390.jpg

391.jpg

Sanded, filled, and sanded again :)

392.jpg

Rudder cable exits put in. I made them out of 1/16th sheet and sandwiched them in between the stringers.

393.jpg

394.jpg

Ready for rudder control horns and rudder cables.

395.jpg

396.jpg

Control horns on, and rudder cables roughed out. I need to tweak the cable exits a bit and need to file a notch in the truss behind F9 as the cables are rubbing them. Nothing drastic, but will hold off on doing that until I get the servos mounted so I know the cables will be where they are supposed to be.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So I'm sure you're all getting tired of seeing pictures of the empennage but I'm slowly getting it ironed out. The tail is glued on along with the filler block. The elevator control horn/joiner is permanently in (which I'm sure is going to be fun to cover around lol) and I've got it all filled and sanded out. Spent my free time this afternoon putting in some small bits and pieces, and I think the empennage is down to the lower tail brace wire mount and the tail wheel tiller arm.

View attachment 94289

Tail glued on and all the filler blocks in, before any sanding and filling.

View attachment 94290

View attachment 94291

Sanded, filled, and sanded again :)

View attachment 94292

Rudder cable exits put in. I made them out of 1/16th sheet and sandwiched them in between the stringers.

View attachment 94293

View attachment 94294

Ready for rudder control horns and rudder cables.

View attachment 94295

View attachment 94296

Control horns on, and rudder cables roughed out. I need to tweak the cable exits a bit and need to file a notch in the truss behind F9 as the cables are rubbing them. Nothing drastic, but will hold off on doing that until I get the servos mounted so I know the cables will be where they are supposed to be.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I never tire of looking at your handy work. Dang, that is some really good stuff right there. I sometimes catch myself imagining what she is gonna look like when you are done. Hurry up will ya? My imagination is getting the best of me. Great stuff my friend.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Well with the empennage all wrapped up with the exception of the tail brace wire mounting tabs, I started moving forward on the fuse by making the elevator push rod and the servo tray. I was working on the rudder cables when I screwed one up and decided it was time to call it quits for the day lol.

397.jpg

Finished tail wheel set up. I made the tiller arm by cutting up a left over tiller arm from another tail wheel kit. It was massive and I cut it down to size, I used some Sig control line connectors to hook the springs to the tail wheel control links and then a 2-56 ball link in the tiller arm acts as a positive keeper for the other end of the spring. Seems to work pretty good!

398.jpg

How I made the template for the servo tray, worked great!

399.jpg

400.jpg

Making the servo tray. I used 1/8" lite ply with 1/4" square basswood rails on the bottom, I then used some 3/8" x 1/2" spruce to build a mounting frame in the fuse. The result was a rock solid, removable servo tray that weighs just a few grams.

401.jpg

Servo tray and mounting frame finished up, with the finished elevator pushrod. The elevator pushrod is made from 1/8" dia. piano wire and 4-40 rigging couplers ends with 5/32" brass sleeves all sweated together.

402.jpg

I used some 1/8" liteply to make some pushrod guides down the tail, which were quite fun to get fished down there, to keep the pushrod from bowing under stress. I'll have to put a couple of half moon cuts in the furthest forward guide near the center to clear the rudder cables.

403.jpg

Elevator pushrod going into the ball link on the elevator horn.

So tomorrow I will work on getting the rudder cables finished, when that's taken care of it will be time to get the engine mounted!!

Bipeguy03

150cc
Well, today I finished the rudder cables which pretty much finished the preliminary radio install (Minus the throttle). I had to do file some notches on a few things to cleat the cables but it's done and working great!

Continuing my finish it from the tail post forward mentality tonight after cleaning the shop I got to work finishing the landing gear. Tomorrow night I'll get to the wheel pants and maybe even the slave struts. then move forward again.

404.jpg

Looking at the rudder cables down the tail.

405.jpg

406.jpg

Making the wood inserts for the landing gear, these are to help keep the wire from bending after a hard landing but made from balsa so hopefully they will break before it rips the gear blocks out of the wing in a crash.

407.jpg

Epoxy and micro, gluing in the insert and filling all the gaps up. Going to let it cure overnight to make it easier to sand, and then it's on to mounting wheel pants.

Bipeguy03

150cc
So I'll give you one more blast from the past lol.

As I'm sure you guys remember I told ya we still have grampa's Wendell Hostetler Skybolt, built in 1982-1983. Well the other night I had it out looking at it to get ideas on what to make my elevator push rod out of, and today after I was done cleaning I decided to clean up the 'ole Bolt to... After I cleaned it I just had to bolt (get it?) together.

So here it is, grampa's THIRTY-FOUR YEAR OLD Skybolt!

27.jpg

Yes that is THIRTY-FOUR, yep 3-4 year old dope... Not paint, DOPE!!

22.jpg

25.jpg

The leather cockpit combing was stitched on, and the windshield has a molded frame.

26.jpg

Wing fillet is a little beat up after 34 years but still fits like a glove.

23.jpg

Access door for the fuel and smoke filler ports.

24.jpg

The filler ports have little caps and a piece of yarn to hold them together so they don't get lost.

This Airplane is the reason why I consider grampa a Master Builder, I know I'm bias but I mean, this airplane is 34 years old can you imagine what it looked like brand new? If my Krier turns out 1/16th as nice as grampa's Bolt I'll be over the moon! lol

WMcNabb

150cc
So I'll give you one more blast from the past lol.

As I'm sure you guys remember I told ya we still have grampa's Wendell Hostetler Skybolt, built in 1982-1983. Well the other night I had it out looking at it to get ideas on what to make my elevator push rod out of, and today after I was done cleaning I decided to clean up the 'ole Bolt to... After I cleaned it I just had to bolt (get it?) together.

So here it is, grampa's THIRTY-FOUR YEAR OLD Skybolt!

View attachment 94372

Yes that is THIRTY-FOUR, yep 3-4 year old dope... Not paint, DOPE!!

View attachment 94373

View attachment 94375

The leather cockpit combing was stitched on, and the windshield has a molded frame.

View attachment 94376

Wing fillet is a little beat up after 34 years but still fits like a glove.

View attachment 94374

Access door for the fuel and smoke filler ports.

View attachment 94378

The filler ports have little caps and a piece of yarn to hold them together so they don't get lost.

This Airplane is the reason why I consider grampa a Master Builder, I know I'm bias but I mean, this airplane is 34 years old can you imagine what it looked like brand new? If my Krier turns out 1/16th as nice as grampa's Bolt I'll be over the moon! lol

That model is GORGEOUS!!! Now I'm drooling on my keyboard!!!!

Even more so when you consider it's 34 years old! WOW!!!

Bipeguy03

150cc
That model is GORGEOUS!!! Now I'm drooling on my keyboard!!!!

Even more so when you consider it's 34 years old! WOW!!!

Right!?? I need to do some paint touch up on the landing gear, the wheel pants are cracked, and I need to patch the bottom right wing tip and fix a broken cabane, outside of that it could be flown. And will be flown.

I keep thinking of grampa, he hated seeing models sit around, and would have his foot so far up my backside I'd be a able to taste his knee if he knew his Bolt had been sitting for 15 years. lol With that thought when the Krier is done, I'm gonna patch up the Bolt and get her flying again. It will be relegated to perfect nights only and will only do some loops and rolls but she will take to the skies again!