• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

30% Pilot Carbon EDGE Build & Discussion

Also, Chief's site says that this plane comes with a carbon spinner. Is it the blue one you are using? That's pretty slick if they include a matching spinner at no extra cost!

bruceman

50cc
Hello FireDawg,

I'll get you the cowl dimensions tonight and post them. As for the distance from the firewall to the front of the cowl, the Pilot EDGE does not come with the firewall mounted, so you can put the firewall pretty much anywhere you need it to get the correct distance. It's a bit of playing around to get the distance, thrust incidence set properly, just have to take your time. An incidence meter is a must when setting up the firewall. As you can see in the previous posts, I'm running a DA60 in the carbon EDGE. The DA60 seems to run very smoothly in this plane, I have no complaints in that department. None of my hardware etc. has vibrated loose. unfortunately there was no good video of the edge at the 3D bash, I was having a dead stick issue which turned out to be an ignition issue.
The spinner does come with the airframe, already painted to match. It's a nice heavy duty spinner, runs nice and true.

IMO the Pilot EDGE is a very well built plane, the hardware is decent quality, although I replaced most of the fasteners with good ole American made because I like using hex head wood screws etc., this was just my personal preference. The canopy is all wood / sheeted construction, no cheap plastic wanna be canopy here. The wheels are aluminum hub construction. Plenty of room for a canister in the tunnel, but too short for a tuned pipe without modifying the tunnel length (I'm running a pro flow rear dump canister).

Thanks,
Bruceman

Great man. Thanks!

The only thing that keeps the Pilot Edge from being an easy #1 choice in my lineup is that is has a shorter wing (and less area) than some other available. Krill 330sc is 90.6", 3DHS Edge is 92", Aeroplus Edge is 92". With the EME 70 and even my RCGF 60 having so much power, they can definitely handle the larger 30-31% airframes.

Does Pilot offer an SFGs for the Edge?

Last edited by a moderator:

bruceman

50cc
Hello FireDawg,

Yes, The Pilot Edge comes with SFG's.

The cowls dimensions are 9 3/4" wide at the cowl ring. It tapers down as you move towards the nose of the cowl slightly, guessing about a 1/2" smaller at the nose. Your engine fit will depend on where exactly the cylinders line up once the engine is mounted. On my edge with the DA 60, Dimension from the firewall to the back of the spinner with a 1/8" gap is 6 /3/4". I'm using a blazing star 1 /1/4" mounting plate. This puts the back of the carb right against the firewall, but my design actually uses the motor box as an intake box with a NACA scoop in the cowl providing air into the motor box. This design has worked out excellent. The motor gets fresh un-heated air directly to the carb.

Whatever plane / engine combo you choose, I'm sure you will be happy. Sounds like you have done your homework. I will say that if you poll Pilot RC owners, you will not find many un-happy people. Construction and flight characteristics of Pilot planes are hard to beat if you are looking for a well built / designed airframe IMO.

I hope the info has helped you.

Thanks,
Bruceman

bruceman

50cc
Thanks Mike!

Carbon fiber is a great medium to work with, but I admit, it can get pricey. There are other materials available that can be used I think to give an RC plane it's own custom touch. I've read many posts from many different forums. There are some great ideas out there, just by people opening up their creativity. Some things work out, some things don't. Believe me, I thrown my share of ideas into the can because it just didn't work like I thought it would. Guy's who build scale war birds blow me away with the hours dedicated to getting it "just right", in many cases, in a picture you could not tell an RC plane from a real war bird.

I think there is an evolution coming to this hobby (more like sickness) beyond a wood airframe, some covering and electronics.

I have a donor Redwing 30 cc MXSR that I'm working on now. The theme for this plane is to use common materials. I have not had much time to build this winter and I'm gonna have to scramble to have the plane done by mid-spring. We'll see what we can do with this plane to give it a unique design / appearance.

I truly appreciate all of the interest from everyone in the Carbon EDGE, I hope it inspires others to be creative.

THANKS!
Bruceman