• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

30% Pilot Carbon EDGE Build & Discussion

bruceman

50cc
[MENTION=2]SnowDog[/MENTION] is my mentor!!!! He is the President of our club (Chain-O-lakes Eagles). Since I got back into this hobby two summers ago, he has stuck with me to learn this hobby again from what it was as a teenager. He is my spotter, my wingman, and a great friend!! We traveled together to the Kennett 3D bash with our friend John Alexander, which is an ACE pilot, [MENTION=2]SnowDog[/MENTION] and I are doing it again for Tulsa. I truly have had a blast being on the road with him and helping to capture the people, the planes and the mood of my first BASh in pictures (my second hobby).

Kudo's to you my friend!!! :flyer::flyer::flyer::flyer:

bruceman

50cc
BTW, Have you noticed in the pictures I have posted that the Carbon EDGE looks really lonely with no 3DRCFORUMS graphics? [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION], I'm offering up some prime real-estate on the carbon EDGE for a couple of them really cool new 3DRCFORUMS graphics. What was that [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] said about being a good supporter of the website and the sponsors? Free prime time site advertising for Tulsa!!! Sorry, had to do it!

gyro

GSN Contributor
BTW, Have you noticed in the pictures I have posted that the Carbon EDGE looks really lonely with no 3DRCFORUMS graphics? [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION], I'm offering up some prime real-estate on the carbon EDGE for a couple of them really cool new 3DRCFORUMS graphics. What was that [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] said about being a good supporter of the website and the sponsors? Free prime time site advertising for Tulsa!!! Sorry, had to do it!

Oh don't you worry... Your plane will it survive unscathed from my vinyl applying hands in Tulsa

bruceman

50cc
I just hope your hands are warm, LOL, I would be honored to have the site name graphics on the Carbon EDGE. I am so pumped about Tulsa, I can't wait to meet [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] and all the other followers on this build who might be there. The Tulsa 3D BASH is going to be a blast!!! Member challenge... "pack up your planes, kiss momma on the cheek and get to Tulsa" . [MENTION=2]SnowDog[/MENTION] and I are going to share the driving, so we can drive straight through to get there. May have to strap both planes on the front of Mikes van and turn on the GP61 and DA60 afterburners to get there sooner LOL!

bruceman

50cc
Sorry I haven't posted this week, been busy at work and low on pictures for the build. I'll get more pictures this week and resume posting as quickly as possible.
Stay tuned.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
[MENTION=151]bruceman[/MENTION] just checking in! How have ya been?

Hortnetnz has a question for ya on this beautiful Carbon Edge.

bruceman

50cc
Hello HornetNZ,

The inside of the Carbon EDGE fuse is done with Monocote trim, no paint. The sides of the fuse have single layer ply (.015") panels cut to fit and then covered. The idea here was not to have any of the bare wood exposed and to have a finished look. Thanks for the interest.

Bruceman

This is definitely one pimped out Edge! Is there any video footage from the 3D Bash?

I've got a question about the cowl dimensions (width and distance from firewall to front of cowl). I can't find dimensions anywhere for it. I'm really wanting to use an EME 70 twin on my next plane. I've got an RCGF 60cc single on my AW Extra 300 and it's a great running motor with tons of power, BUT I hate the vibration of the larger single cylinder engines. It puts so much strain on the airframe. This is why I'm looking so hard at the twin.

I'm looking at a few different options for my next plane. I am a big fan of Redwing not only because of their quality stuff and great prices, but because of their awesome customer service. However, I really really like the Edge 540 (and the Raven, which is very similar). The extreme performance of the Edge's wing is crazy awesome. I've tried to talk Tim into producing an Edge or a Raven, but nothing so far. I think their Slick is a pretty plane, but I'm not sure it can hang with an Edge performance wise. I have been considering their Extra 330 in the Ghost scheme, but again, it's not an Edge.

I've also fallen in love with the Krill Extra 330SC. It's such a gorgeous scale airplane with large control surfaces, but the price makes me cringe. I can get two ARFs from anyone else for the price of the Krill.

Anyway, back to the Edge. Looking at the Aeroplus 92" Edge V3 (GIGANTIC control surfaces!) in the VW Matthias Dolderer scheme at Mile High RC is what turned me on to the EME 70, but it's a newer company and I'm not sold on the customer service and availability of parts for it. I've also looked at the 3DHS 92" Edge.

Sorry for all that unnecessary gibber jabber, I really like the red/blue/white (also Matthias Dolderer scheme) Pilot RC Edge, so any info you can give about the cowl dimensions would be appreciated. The specs for the EME are 250mm wide (spark plug cap to cap) and 153mm from back to the front of the prop hub.

Thanks!
Jeremy