• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

-Rick-

100cc
Geez Earle, you are putting so many (good) ideas in my head! When I get around to redoing my 42% Deitrich slick I'm going to have to put a sticker on it...... copied from Earle!!

Skyluc

50cc
Not sure of the results you will obtain with the spades,as in full scale we have to do some test flights to get the good calibration by adjusting the rigging angles of the spades,because if the setting is bad,you have to put more strength to move the ailerons and they are less precise

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yes, I am aware of the effort and flight testing needed for full scale. As the saying goes....been there, done that :).

Really the only result I'm going for is the scale look. With the powerful servos we have, the spades are certainly not needed, although they would still have some effect....that would be hard to measure. I can play with the plate size and angles as welll if needed. We'll see how it all works out in the spring.....10 degrees (F) here this AM :mad:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Ooops....double post....guess I'll hold this space for teh next installment :confused:

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Trim tab....as opposed to boost tabs! The full-scale 330SC has just one elevator trim tab, adjustable by the pilot as desired. Boost, or anti-servo tabs are usually found on both sides, and while pilot-adjustable for trimming they are also linked to the fixed stab and act to reduce stick loads in both directions.

To enhance the realism I wanted the trim tab to look like it could function, but be solidly fixed in place, aligned with the trailing edge of the elevator. So...out came the saw and off came the tab from the right side elevator. Using the CF/balsa laminate I end plates were cut and installed in the tab and elevator opening, and the top edge routed out for the "piano" hinge made from grooved styrene plastic rod.

The tab was glued back into place on the elevator and a small dummy horn and clevis fixed on the bottom for the finished look.
DSC00967.JPG DSC00970.JPG DSC00973.JPG DSC00974.JPG DSC00976.JPG

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Time to get the saw back out and cut some more on this airplane :devil-dance:.

This is probably the farthest deviation from scale, but I decided a while ago that I would split the ailerons into 2 sections each. A couple of reasons why;
  • short "outboard" ailerons have been incorporated into the wings of many high-end IMAC planes like Cardens, etc. The theory is they tend to not disturb the airflow over the elevators in rolls and rolling circles while still giving plenty of authority for precision flying. I've flown a few and they work.
  • I still wish to retain the full ailerons (using both sections together) for more radical roll rates/3D etc.
  • The inboard sections can be used as flaps for short fields and/or approaches over treelines, etc. I've flown an Extreme Flight 104 Extra and could fly it at a fast walking speed with the flaps down, without being in a harrier
  • They can also be used in a spoiler mode to dump lift, or in a crow mode (inboards up and outboards down) for very slow vertical downlines. This was fun to play with when I had my Beast.
  • Servo matching is a thing of the past, as each servo only drives its own surface.
  • Because I can!!!!
With transmitters such as my Futaba 14MZ, all these conditions can be set up fairly easily. So...after marking where I wish to separate them, I made the cuts and fabbed up some CF end plates to glue back into the now-exposed hollow ends of the shortened surfaces. I also installed an additional hinge point adjacent to the original one near the middle of the wing, so each aileron would have adequate support there.
View attachment 2829 View attachment 2831 View attachment 2830 View attachment 2832

These shots show the various flight conditions;
View attachment 2834 View attachment 2836 View attachment 2833 View attachment 2835

More to come.

before we started GSN I had never caught on to guys doing this. it makes so much sense, definitely going to try it on a future build.
bart

I have two Daltons (Extra 300's) with the ailerons split into three sections. One section for each of 3 servos.
As Earl pointed out, binding servos are a thing of the past and the combination usage of the sections are endless.
I fly all maneuvers in the IMAC sequence (Sportsman Class) with two outboard sections only. Inboard sections are used as Flaps when needed.
Snaps are a little lethargic using the outboard sections but for me, it slows them down and makes it easier to stop in correct position.
If you like them fast and crisp, just set up a condition to switch into all three sections.
Axial rolls are smooth as silk with the two outer sections.
It used to take me hours to set up and match aileron servos. Now it takes minutes.
Also have two EF Extras (104") with splits. Earl flew one of these at CAPI last year and even with the motor blowing up during the Unknown, he came in second.
The EF Extra is really a 3D plane with exaggerated control surfaces. Using the outboard sections of the ailerons tames this plane down perfectly for precision flying.