• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 58" Edge 540

njswede

150cc
Yes, the farther forward you mount your motor, the closer the battery can be to the CG (wingtube area)
I think had 5/8" extensions, a wood prop, and a spinner, all of which provide some extra nose weight.

I'm using the 3/8" wood extensions that came with my 72" Extra with a Motrolfly 4315/714. My main problem is that there's no good place for additional velcro up in the nose area. The previous owner put a strap with some velcro around the lower section of the box that the battery can catch onto (see picture). I think Econpatric's idea with the paint stirrer might be useful. A paint stirrer or some plywood to make a platform on the floor of the motor box to support velcro and battery. That would also help stiffening the box to withstand the forces from high-energy maneuvers. I've already added some CF for that, but it can't hurt to make it even stiffer. And I'm not that worried about the weight since it likes to have some nose weight anyway.

IMAG0809.jpg

joshgluck

100cc
Received my parts today.. slight problem. 1) I didn't realize that the fuse is really just the fuse.. No rudder, elevator nor horiz stab. Second I received an extra cowl not the edge cowl. Emailed the guys just now and I am sure it will be taken care of. Just thought I 'd share in case someone else was going to get just the fuse. Youre probably better off getting the full airframe. Gary - do you have a canopy because I only have one that I am pulling over unless they will swap me for a full airframe...

gyro

GSN Contributor
Received my parts today.. slight problem. 1) I didn't realize that the fuse is really just the fuse.. No rudder, elevator nor horiz stab. Second I received an extra cowl not the edge cowl. Emailed the guys just now and I am sure it will be taken care of. Just thought I 'd share in case someone else was going to get just the fuse. Youre probably better off getting the full airframe. Gary - do you have a canopy because I only have one that I am pulling over unless they will swap me for a full airframe...

I don't, mine was disintegrated. Don't worry about it... I'm not in any hurry. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out. I do genuinely appreciate you trying to hook me up though! Would any of my tail parts help you get flying again?

-G

joshgluck

100cc
I don't, mine was disintegrated. Don't worry about it... I'm not in any hurry. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out. I do genuinely appreciate you trying to hook me up though! Would any of my tail parts help you get flying again?

-G

No problem. I like to keep a positive balance in the karma bank ;-)

Not sure . Let's see what I can work with 3dhs tomorrow and I'll keep you posted?

SnowDog

I'm having some problems keeping my batteries from moving around. I fly mine on 4s (and like it) and I have to push the battery almost all the way into the motor box to make it balance. I've strengthened the box with some CF so it can take the forces. The problem is that I can only put a single strap at the very rear end of the battery. Sometimes when I do high-energy maneuvers, I can actually hear thuds from the battery moving around. Not good and a disaster waiting to happen.

Are there any tricks for better battery installation? Maybe SteveT has one of those inserts for this plane?

Pontus, I had this issue and I created a simple fix for it: I have two wide strips of velcro (2" wide HD)...one strip is permanently mounted to the front of the motor box/battery tray...the other is at the back in the normal location. When I insert a battery I slide it "into" the front strap which is like a permanent harness, and the back end is secured and strapped in like normal.

Does this make sense?

Keeps the front of the battery secure in a fairly simple way.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Pontus, I had this issue and I created a simple fix for it: I have two wide strips of velcro (2" wide HD)...one strip is permanently mounted to the front of the motor box/battery tray...the other is at the back in the normal location. When I insert a battery I slide it "into" the front strap which is like a permanent harness, and the back end is secured and strapped in like normal.

Does this make sense?

Keeps the front of the battery secure in a fairly simple way.

I really like this suggestion! No added material or fuss. Great idea Mike :)

joshgluck

100cc
Coming at ya Gary

uploadfromtaptalk1370660796941.jpg

Sorry it took so long.. OCD about the packing in a non std box. At least I used a 3dhs one. ;-)

njswede

150cc
Good news: I figured out how to do awesome crankshafts!!!!

Bad news: I got a little too excited and ejected the battery straight through the canopy. :veryshocked:

uploadfromtaptalk1370813878146.jpg

joshgluck

100cc
Omg!

Did it actually come loose and deadstick or just wack the canopy while staying connected?

Good thing canopies are in stock

njswede

150cc
Oh it came loose alright and shot across the weeds at GCA never to be found again. The damage on the plane isn't too bad. Busted up motor box and a hole in the canopy. Fixable!