• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC

Oh yeah and guys I can't buy a Dx7. Idk what you have against a Dx6I but it fits my needs perfectly.

I'm not a spectrum guy, but I can comment on this. Once you really want to improve your flying (not just bang the sticks, but truly work on precision, or work on much more complicated maneuvers in close proximity to the ground on a more expensive plane), you will find out how inadequate a Dx6i is.

I have heard the stories of people being at events and asking a team member to help them with their plane. They will adjust it the best they can, but on at least one instance that I remember, someone offered up their TX and receiver and they dropped it in the same plane the person was having trouble with. Next thing you know, it's like a brand new plane, working perfectly.

You're right, on paper it should do what you are looking for, and just as a "casual' flier, it will be fine, but if you want to do a lot more with it, you will want a better radio. I am not trying to start radio wars, you can even go with a better Spectrum radio and end up with a much better result.

Good luck!

njswede

150cc
I'm not a spectrum guy, but I can comment on this. Once you really want to improve your flying (not just bang the sticks, but truly work on precision, or work on much more complicated maneuvers in close proximity to the ground on a more expensive plane), you will find out how inadequate a Dx6i is.

I have heard the stories of people being at events and asking a team member to help them with their plane. They will adjust it the best they can, but on at least one instance that I remember, someone offered up their TX and receiver and they dropped it in the same plane the person was having trouble with. Next thing you know, it's like a brand new plane, working perfectly.

You're right, on paper it should do what you are looking for, and just as a "casual' flier, it will be fine, but if you want to do a lot more with it, you will want a better radio. I am not trying to start radio wars, you can even go with a better Spectrum radio and end up with a much better result.

Good luck!

I don't want to start a radio war, but what exactly makes the DX6 such a poor choice? Lack of mixes? Bad precision on the pots? Are these deficiencies it shares with other radios in the Spektrum lineup?

Not trying to start a war. I just want to learn.

gyro

GSN Contributor
A non-flight condition parkzone spitfire and T28, a UM sukhoi, and a crack yak. I'm selling the two parkzone birds once I replace a few parts and once the sukhoi gets beat up I'll strip it and sell the gear, along with the other micro brick and two 1.5g servos than were in my UMX Extra 300. I'm also seling an FPV camera. Those things will get me about $500, so then I can mow my lawn a few times and get sme allowance to get $600. Maybe ill buy the used Dx6I and a 57SC. But then I need a better charger for the SC's batts, which takes up another $50. Then I need a couple batteries, which is another $50. Looks like I'm saving for a few months........

Oh yeah and guys I can't buy a Dx7. Idk what you have against a Dx6I but it fits my needs perfectly.
I don't want to start a radio war, but what exactly makes the DX6 such a poor choice? Lack of mixes? Bad precision on the pots? Are these deficiencies it shares with other radios in the Spektrum lineup?

Not trying to start a war. I just want to learn.

It's limited on number of aircraft it can store, number of mixes available (only 2), restricted end point adjustment (only 125%) and the dual rate interface stinks.

I also started with the Dx6i as my first radio 2.5 years ago, had it for 6-9 months, and then went to the Dx7i which lasted me almost a year, and I've been on the Dx8 (to get the telemetry) for 9 months now. I strongly agree with all the advice you've received so far. There are frequently Dx7i (used) available in the forums from $150 or less, and that's money well invested. It'd be a shame to have some great airplanes but be limited by the restrictions of a basic radio. In my opinion, the Dx7i (dsm2 version to save you some money, not the new dsmx one, as you probably don't NEED the dsmx) would be all that you'd need for quite a while.

Just my 2 cents.

-Gary