• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I did some mock up tonight. The wheel pants are just laying there and the cowl is held on with tape and good intentions, but it's good enough to check out the cowl fit. I think once I space the cowl out a little and do a little surgery on the bottom to fix the lower line it should be fine. The left stab is roughly cut to the shape I think I'm going to use. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to make new elevators or modify these. I'm also planning on modifying the wing tips to a rounder shape.

20141203_213926_LLS_resized.jpg
20141203_213951_LLS_resized.jpg 20141203_214019_LLS_resized.jpg 20141203_214152_LLS_resized.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
What weight glass do you intend to use for this? I'm thinking I need to do a test panel with sheeted foam, glass, prep and paint. I just want to see if I have what you plan on using so I can follow along (copy you ;)).

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
What weight glass do you intend to use for this? I'm thinking I need to do a test panel with sheeted foam, glass, prep and paint. I just want to see if I have what you plan on using so I can follow along (copy you ;)).
Terry, the only problem with that is that you'll have 6 airplanes done by the time I start glassing this one. ;)
I'm planning on using 0.56oz from Thayercraft or something similar and Z-Poxy finishing resin.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
No, not 6 just these two......a couple of fixer-upper arf's and a warbird ARF. What I'd like to do next time I do a full build is do a hybrid plywood with balsa skin fuse for a glass and paint, that's why I'm so interested. Things will slow down a little for me since I think we are going to try to sell our house close to Spring.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Don't take this wrong, but I think the canopy looks kinda funny. Too bubbly for my likes. The rest of the plane is Sleek with a bubble canopy. Just an observation.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Don't take this wrong, but I think the canopy looks kinda funny. Too bubbly for my likes. The rest of the plane is Sleek with a bubble canopy. Just an observation.
The look I was going for is 30's vintage air racer. I tried several different canopy shapes when I was drawing it and didn't care for a laid back style of canopy. Two of my favorite air racers of all time were the Gee Bee Z and the Cosmic Wind. They both use a similar style of canopy. When I do the final trimming on the canopy it will lower the front a tad so the line up the turtle deck will be smooth across the top of the canopy.
20141204_214012_resized.jpg

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I kind of like it. It makes the plane look huge compared to the pilot. It is also distinctly different that the typical Extra with two seats.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I kind of like it. It makes the plane look huge compared to the pilot. It is also distinctly different that the typical Extra with two seats.
That brings me to another issue. How big should the pilot be. Should it be big enough that just the pilots head sticks up in the canopy like a Gee Bee Z so it looks like the pilot is wearing the airplane? Something to think about.