• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I built a new leading edge tonight from 3/8" x 3/4" balsa. It's grooved to fit each rib. Next up is a lot of sanding to prep the leading edge for sheeting.
20150226_212335_resized.jpg 20150226_214807_resized.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
After a near disaster yesterday in a failed sheeting attempt, I did get the bottom of the wing sheeted this evening. I have sheeted many wooden wings over the years, but for some reason I really screwed up the first attempt. I was so mad I sounded like Ralphie from A Christmas Story when he was beating up the bully. Thankfully the second attempt went as smooth as silk.
20150228_210932_resized.jpg 20150228_214159_resized.jpg 20150301_120550_resized.jpg 20150302_210940_resized.jpg

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
After a near disaster yesterday in a failed sheeting attempt, I did get the bottom of the wing sheeted this evening. I have sheeted many wooden wings over the years, but for some reason I really screwed up the first attempt. I was so mad I sounded like Ralphie from A Christmas Story when he was beating up the bully. Thankfully the second attempt went as smooth as silk.
View attachment 13825 View attachment 13826 View attachment 13827 View attachment 13828
fricken fracken %$***..:adore:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Last night I trimmed and rough sanded the new sheeting on the bottom of the wing. I then stared at it for awhile to decide if I was going to replace all the sheeting on the top or just replace the narrow strip I needed to remove to do the repair.

Since I would need to order more wood to do it all (I didn't have enough now since I screwed up the first try on the bottom) I decided I would just do the 1 1/2" section that I had removed.

I only had one 42" long piece of 3/32" left and it was about as hard as balsa gets. I figured there was no way I was going to get a piece that hard a narrow to curve around the ribs, so I decided to wet one side and let it curl. I had to help it along a little at first, but after awhile it had a nice cup to it that would fit the ribs and leading edge nicely. I glued it on with CA to the ribs and Sigment along the seam and leading edge. The Sigment sands easy, so it should make blending everything together easier. I'll find out tonight, how I did.

20150303_222224_resized.jpg