• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

65" Vyper Discussion Thread

Manta

70cc twin V2
Got several more flights on my viper yesterday. Really enjoyed them i dont know the move that they are doing now where you go up then go in KE and hit oposite rudder to make it slide in a u shape is called. I played with it some on the vyper and holy crap that was cool ! The vype will stand on its nose!!!! And keep sliding.

SnowDog

Got several more flights on my viper yesterday. Really enjoyed them i dont know the move that they are doing now where you go up then go in KE and hit oposite rudder to make it slide in a u shape is called. I played with it some on the vyper and holy crap that was cool ! The vype will stand on its nose!!!! And keep sliding.

I'd like to see/hear more about that move...can you draw some type of diagram?

SnowDog

Gotta get my nylon spacers cut down by 5mm...the 1inch spacers are just a bit too long, they push the Motrolfly 4320 up against the inside of the cowl.
Anybody got a good trick for cutting down nylon spacers and keeping them square? (and keeping my fingers intact) ;)

gyro

GSN Contributor
I use a cut off disk on a dremmel, then coarse grain sand to finish. (granted, I've only had to do it once)

SteveT.

100cc
I was going to try the bench sander disc approach...but I am worried about 1) keeping them square and 2) keeping my fingers away from the sander disc ;)
I have a mitre box and saw, that might end up being more accurate.

thanks for the tips, guys.

No problem....I wish everything on the internet was that easy....The other option...is that I can make you spacers on my lathe, I just need to know exactly how long you want....

One trick for sanding them down on a sander, is to thread a couple of nuts onto a bolt that is long enough to hold onto and tighten the nuts together at the length you want the spacers to be. Then slip the spacer on, touch it to the sander, and as soon as you see a spark from the bolt....stop...you will have perfect length spacers.

SteveT

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

I got the spacers cut down, motor mounted, and managed two flights on the new motor on Sunday. Plane flew great even in 20+mph winds. Motor does great, but it was cold out and the motor still came down warm, which is surprising for a Motrolfly!
I'm pretty sure I need to modify the vents for better airflow over the motor. The lack of vents might be what burned up the Scorpion motor :(
Does anyone have photos of how they've modded the cowl on their 65" Vyper for better cooling?
I've got some ideas, but I always like to see others ideas as well.