• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

65" Vyper Discussion Thread

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Do you have a picture of the cowl from the front? I might be able to think of something....the 330SC's have a bit of a cooling problem too.

SnowDog

Flew another flight on my 65" Vyper this weekend...still came down pretty hot, I guess my cooling mods weren't enough....I put deflector in the chin opening to deflect air up, I think I need to capture more of the chin opening; currently the scoop captures about 1/3 of the opening (I didn't want to neglect the ESC which is mounted on the bottom of the motor box).

I guess my next play is to widen the cheek openings a bit more and put 90 degree deflects from the cheek scoops to point directly at the motor from both sides...?

I had the thought of flying without the cowl so I could see what the motor temps were with the cowl off, but oops! can't fly this plane without the cowl because the canopy depends on the cowl being in place! :eek:

I don't have a temp gun, but I can touch the back end of the motor shaft through the firewall and it was so hot that I could not keep my finger on there for more than 1 sec. That seems much to hot for me. I have Motrolfly motors on other planes such as my 51 Slick and 58" Edge and they come down with a touch of warmth...I can keep my fingers on the motor without any pain whatsoever. I suppose I should invest in a basic IR heat gun from Harbor Freight to get a more objective temp reading. :/

SnowDog

Blast from the past:

[video=youtube;GQbhBFeXC2Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQbhBFeXC2Y[/video]

65" Span
~1000 squares
AUW 8 lbs 5 oz.

Cube loading = 7.2

(4) Futaba 9451
Spektrum AR7000
Castle Creations PHX 85HV
Castle Creations BEC
Reaper GR-60XL
Xoar 17x9 propeller
Thunder Power 6S 5000 Pro-lite V2 packs

Power = 1650 watts

Scott

[video=youtube;zmgFgn97Fsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmgFgn97Fsc[/VIDEO]

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Found one more...this one is very funny! :)
[Disclaimer: this is the 46" Vyper, but still funny due to the post-mortem analysis by the pilot....:)]

[video=vimeo;5777090]http://vimeo.com/5777090[/video]

Manta

70cc twin V2
Flew another flight on my 65" Vyper this weekend...still came down pretty hot, I guess my cooling mods weren't enough....I put deflector in the chin opening to deflect air up, I think I need to capture more of the chin opening; currently the scoop captures about 1/3 of the opening (I didn't want to neglect the ESC which is mounted on the bottom of the motor box).

I guess my next play is to widen the cheek openings a bit more and put 90 degree deflects from the cheek scoops to point directly at the motor from both sides...?

I had the thought of flying without the cowl so I could see what the motor temps were with the cowl off, but oops! can't fly this plane without the cowl because the canopy depends on the cowl being in place! :eek:

I don't have a temp gun, but I can touch the back end of the motor shaft through the firewall and it was so hot that I could not keep my finger on there for more than 1 sec. That seems much to hot for me. I have Motrolfly motors on other planes such as my 51 Slick and 58" Edge and they come down with a touch of warmth...I can keep my fingers on the motor without any pain whatsoever. I suppose I should invest in a basic IR heat gun from Harbor Freight to get a more objective temp reading. :/

what motor/prop,etc ya go on this one? also is it brand new?Sometimes the brand new ones( if you are using motrolfly) take a cple of flights to level the grease in the bearings out some. Also an IR gun is def needed as I cannot hold my fingers on a motor that is over 120 deg. 150-160 is ok for the back of the motor at the amount/rear bearing tube area.

SnowDog

what motor/prop,etc ya go on this one? also is it brand new?Sometimes the brand new ones( if you are using motrolfly) take a cple of flights to level the grease in the bearings out some. Also an IR gun is def needed as I cannot hold my fingers on a motor that is over 120 deg. 150-160 is ok for the back of the motor at the amount/rear bearing tube area.

Manta, hope your recovery is going well, thanks for the response.

The motor is a brand new Motrolfly 4320-400 with an 18x10 protek electric prop and a ZTW 120amp HV ESC running on 6s5000 30C Lipos, also brand new.
The easiest place to reach the motor is the back of the motor and the mount/rear bearing area, and that is where I was testing with my finger. :)

20120913_182811.jpg

20120903_093713.jpg

Thanks for your help!

SnowDog

Got some more info tonight that I thought I'd post here.
For the Motrolfly DM4315-480 that I have in my 65" Vyper, I purchased 1" nylon standoffs from the local hardware store, and ground them down to 13/16" in length for a good installation.
Here's a few pics:

The spinner gap:
20121212_214600.jpg

The standoffs (notice the holes
had to be redrilled)
20121212_214837.jpg

SnowDog

Here's another few pics, FYI....I felt that the motor was getting too hot, so I added some scoops inside the cowl.
Now it runs at a very nice temp.

20121212_215027.jpg 20121212_215035.jpg

It is a little hard to see, but the net effect is to direct air from the bottom chin vent up to the engine.

I also wonder if anyone has opened larger or additional sections in the bottom of the fuselage to help with better ventilation.

Last edited by a moderator: