• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

73 inch Sbach 342, Black and Red Scheme (won from facebook giveaway, from Aerobeez)

SnowDog

Bare with me gang, still trying to figure out how the forum is ordering my photos.. seems to put them in backwards order, from how I am speaking about steps.

Dell, great build log so far! I just put an OS GT 33 on my 71 Slick and flew it the first time this weekend...that motor rocks...you are really gonna love the power and the sound of the motor!!

Regarding the picture ordering; once you upload the pics, you can move them around in the little window at the bottom of the screen (before you submit the post -- just grab them with the mouse and resequence them in whatever order you desire) and you can also move them by using the "edit post" and then "go advanced"...again, just move the pictures with the mouse into the sequence you desire.

Keep up the great work; really excited about this one!

Props

50cc
Dell, great build log so far! I just put an OS GT 33 on my 71 Slick and flew it the first time this weekend...that motor rocks...you are really gonna love the power and the sound of the motor!!

Regarding the picture ordering; once you upload the pics, you can move them around in the little window at the bottom of the screen (before you submit the post -- just grab them with the mouse and resequence them in whatever order you desire) and you can also move them by using the "edit post" and then "go advanced"...again, just move the pictures with the mouse into the sequence you desire.

Keep up the great work; really excited about this one!

Thanks! I am loving this build too. It's a blast. I will go back and rearrange the photos after bit.

Props

50cc
I am beat after putting in about 12 hours total on our mat runway ground work. I will resume the build soon.

Props

50cc
Have a safe and happy 4th everyone! I will get back to the build soon, but for now, it's time for family food and flying. Oh and a mat runway install, it's ready for the mat, but got rained on last night so waiting for the dirt to dry so it doesn't stick to our shoes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 255

SnowDog

Some of our club members are convinced that we need a mat at our field. I'm not so sure it is worth the maintenance.
I'll be interested to hear from you how this goes...weeds coming through, holding up to weather, etc.
Looks like it was a lot of work so far, but that sure is a smooth and flat surface you'll have!

Props

50cc
Some of our club members are convinced that we need a mat at our field. I'm not so sure it is worth the maintenance.
I'll be interested to hear from you how this goes...weeds coming through, holding up to weather, etc.
Looks like it was a lot of work so far, but that sure is a smooth and flat surface you'll have!

I will start a thread on it, all the research done and what all was involved. We determined it was less costly than seeding, and another club I belong to has it at both their fields now for 10+ years.

We seeded this area once but it didnt take well and was clumps of grass, making for a very rough surface.

So far we will have approx $1500 into a 24ft wide by 360ft long mat.. With all the ground prep. We still have a 30ft wide grass strip alongside it, the only spot that seems to be growing decently. It cost us $2200 to seed the area the first time, and we didnt get the outcome we hoped. With the mat, we can roll it up and move. If needed, allowing us to keep most of our investment.

Props

50cc
Im back!

Ok, so now I will complete the engine install, before I move on to servos. I had to cut a small relief for the pits wrap-a-round muffler that comes with the OS GT33, but it was nothing major and the dremel with cutoff wheel handled it well.

I then pinned the bottom with toothpicks and glue, to assure I had not weakened any "holding" power. I then just clip the tooth picks off flush.

I then used some Polyurethane to seal and proof the wood, in and out of the motor box and back to the wing tube. (these rear carbs sometimes like to spit a lil through the firewall hole) This assures me for the life of the plane, the wood wont become fuel soaked.

Now waiting on that to dry and will work on setting up throttle servo in the meantime.

I had to throw one of our new mat runway in , as its what the Sbach will get to fly from for its maiden. Too bad my spinner didnt get here, itd be a shame to take her to the field "naked". :D

Attachments

• 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 001.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 001.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 222
  • 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 002.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 002.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 229
  • 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 004.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 004.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 005.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 005.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 006.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 006.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 244
  • West_Field_Project_2013 007.jpg
    West_Field_Project_2013 007.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 225

Props

50cc
Muffler test fit went well.. Throttle linkage and servo all set up (with exception of radio install)

Attachments

• 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 002.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 002.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 003.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 003.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 004.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 004.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 005.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 005.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 008.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 008.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 225

Props

50cc
Thought I would get started early and hope to get most of this bird finished. Seems I have come to a halt in that. Every control surface is missing half of its horns. I will be contacting Aerobeez, and hope I can get them to send me the missing parts and maybe get them this coming week. (still waiting on a spinner I ordered 6-29) I am wondering if someone new was packaging these parts up at the factory, as seems strange each bag was missing half the components.

Sorry guys, just bummed. We have some windy and raining weather forcast for the next few days, so thought I'd have this awesome bird ready to fly after the weather settled. Looks like that may not happen. :crying:

Attachments

• 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 009.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 009.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 010.jpg
    73INCH_Sbach_won_From_Facebook_Giveaway 010.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 244

Props

50cc
Trying to research this control horn issue. As what's been provided would only work with a single horn per surface install. Is this the way it's supposed to be? If so it's the first I've had that didn't have a ball link sandwiched between two horns. I'd almost say what I got was for a smaller airframe? As just getting another set of horns won't work either as would need the ball link to have a flat on both sides and these only have it on the one side.

I guess if that is the case, I need to know what color red is used so I can cover one slot on the rudder. I have black to do the slot on the wing.

But so far everything I find shows what I have for horns to be incorrect, and that's from researching other Aerobeez build threads on other forums.