• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aerobeez 45% Extra 300 assembly

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
SUPATim showing just how awesome he really is by getting me hooked up with some pants and a pilot. I proudly support NWRC for all of my giant scale needs, make sure you guys hit him up if you need something!!

20161101_184638.jpg
received_10211870341620878.jpeg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Tanner, So I talked with Randy today. He confirmed the Ultimates are 46.5 pounds. Also, his big 40% Yak, (just like mine) is also in that same weight range. Shedding the 210 will save me 13.5 pounds. Add back 8.5 pounds for the 180. Thus...the big yak will hit the scales at 44 pounds and roughly 12 ounces. Guess you know what that means!!

Oh and "YES"!!! SupaTim is the best.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Tanner, So I talked with Randy today. He confirmed the Ultimates are 46.5 pounds. Also, his big 40% Yak, (just like mine) is also in that same weight range. Shedding the 210 will save me 13.5 pounds. Add back 8.5 pounds for the 180. Thus...the big yak will hit the scales at 44 pounds and roughly 12 ounces. Guess you know what that means!!

Oh and "YES"!!! SupaTim is the best.

You won't regret that ZDZ!!!!

The only drawback is it's a rear carb design. It was a bit of a learning experience figuring out how to set it up but Joe Mitchell includes a template that will help get you squared away and have that thing installed in no time at all.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I received my bonded washers yesterday from RTL Fasteners, excellent customer service from them and super fast shipping. Will definitely be ordering more from them!! Last night I spent a little time fitting the washers to my Extra and spent a little time fixing one of the axles on the Yak (loose), these airplanes are just about ready for a full weekend of fun!

Today I received my spinner and my turnbuckles (and a turnbuckle wrench too) so I can finally finish off the Extra. Tonight's work will consist of moving the throttle servo further back, installing my spinner, and getting my light set fitted to my 70" Aerobeez Slick Pro. And then packing to leave bright and early tomorrow morning for the Hemet Funstyle Event :)

20161103_130447.jpg

Does your spinner have an aluminum backplate? If not, dont mount it. Get an aluminum backplate, then mount it. Reason is, the backplate gets warm, and and loosens the bolts, and then bye bye new prop and spinner.

Carbon backplates are good on engines upto 120cc. Carbon backplates on 150cc and up are good with wood props. I have had luck on my 157CSTS with carbon backplates. But, I was running a wood prop. Stuck a Mezzy on it, 3 mins into the flight, props was loose.

Your call man. :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
My belief on the whole carbon back plate/carbon prop theory is probably different than most. It all revolves around heat and compression release. Excessive heat build up allows the carbon backplate to become soft, thereby allowing compression release of the prop bolts. I attempted the carbon set up on that no account overly priced paper weight 176 Evo. One flight, (maiden to be exact) sheared two prop bolts and would have lost the whole setup, but good practice paid off. (Post maiden flight inspection) After seeing as many of the GP 176's "BLOW" up, literally....I have no doubt had I kept mine, it too would have self destructed. I feel there is a design flaw that causes the front of the engine to overheat, hence explode. I was saved by a carbon setup. My 157 has had the carbon setup with a Falcon since day one (4 years now). No issues at all. But!!!!, it runs perfect and does not overheat.

20161104_092415.jpg

From what I have witnessed with the ZDZ 180, its performance and how literally "bone chilling cool" it runs, I would definitely not hesitate using the carbon setup. Anytime a guy can grab each cylinder (one in each hand) after a ten minute flight and finally let go after getting bored, tells you that engine has ice cycles hanging from the fins.

If all the 180's run as cool "and smoooooth" as what I've seen, the carbon setup on it will probably be just as successful and trouble free as my dub 157.

Of course you already know this recipe but will share anyway. "QUALITY" steel bolts, "Nord" locks, torque to 100 in. oz....fly.

Last edited: