• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel Yak 55

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Good evening Gents,

I have made a little progress on my Yak in that the servo mount in the wing has been fixed, so that's one more thing crossed off the list. Unfortunately, as it sometimes happens, I forgot to take any pictures. . . . . :ugh:.

I do have a question I'd like to run by you Fellas. Since this is my first true giant sale plane, it is the first time I've had a spinner that is screwed into the side of the backplate in lieu of the usual bolt through the tip of the spinner into the end of crankshaft. Both spinners are also cut for each prop. I believe this tells me that I will have to use the prop as a guide to drill the backplates so I keep the prop blades centered in the spinner openings. I can use my drill jig to keep the prop and backplate centered, but what do you guys use to hold the prop to the backplate to keep it from moving while you try to drill the first hole in the backplate? Would something like two sided tape work well enough or do you guys have any better ideas?

Thanks Gent's

After grinding the spinner to accommodate the propeller, I carefully put my backplate, and pre-drilled (by me) prop on the engine for alignment and then used a drill bit to transfer the hole locations to the back plate. Then used a pilot hole, followed by the actual bit size - I double checked my alignment with the drill guide. After drilling one or two holes, you can add your drill guide to the prop/backplate stack and finish the last few holes up if you want. It's tricky for sure, I'm sure someone else has a better method... but that's what I did.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
OK, I don't know what made me type steel. I must be brain dead tonight. . . . . :laughing:. Thanks for setting me straight @AKNick .

LOL, I was drinking a pretty darn good cup of coffee, all my brain waves are synced when that happens :confused: So you've got this! Don't worry when you said steel I thought you were right until I visualized drilling the last two... and I may have looked it up.. Now that we are both on track :applause:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well,

I got one last box with some items for my Yak.
Yak 62.jpg

I thought about showing you guys what's inside the box, but then I said to myself, "what's the fun in that?". . . . . :laughing:. I promise I won't leave you guys hanging too long. . . . . :rolleyes:. Work resumes on my Yak Friday at noon after I get off work. Hopefully with a good couple of days of work, I will have some good progress to show you this weekend. . . . . . :big_yes:.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
OK @Snoopy1,

I'll spill the beans. . . . LOL.

I worked on my Yak today for about four hours this afternoon, but I didn't work on anything to get the plane ready to fly. . . . :eek:. No, I spent the afternoon putting some of the graphics I got last week on parts of the plane. This the "multi-colored" part of the clue I gave you.

"Before".
20190823_134833_1566589297591_resized.jpg

"After"
Yak 64.jpg

"Before"
20190823_145902_1566589286936_resized.jpg

"After"
20190823_151916_1566589289590_resized.jpg

I will post some more pics in my next post.