• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel Yak 55

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well Fellas,

Ten hours on the road to High Point NC and back and I can FINALLY say, I am now the owner of a 35% Bill Hempel Yak 55. . . . . . :woohoo!:. Sorry, but no pictures tonight as it was after dark when I got home and had started to rain as soon as I started to walk to the house. I will get some tomorrow afternoon. Haven't even had a chance to really look at it. I noticed when I picked it up and put it in the back of my Durango, that the fuselage was so lite that it startled me. . . . . . :eek:. Then again, I guess it has to be if the flying weight minus fuel is supposed to be 25 to 26 pounds. While I was travelling home, I had some time to ponder the situation and I started to wonder what in the world have I gotten myself into?. . . . . . . :laughing:. I did notice the guy I bought the plane from left all the ball links, turnbuckles and other hardware on the plane. He didn't tell me he was going to do that so I assumed that he was going to keep that stuff. He even left a nice fuel tank in the fuse for me to use. What little I saw of the plane, it looks like it is in very good shape with little to no hanger rash. Even the covering is nice and tight. All I can think of now is, Come on Springtime. . . . . . . :yesss: .
10 hours it has to be good, ok let’s see the plane.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
As promised, here are some pick of my Yak. This first picture may look familiar. . . . . ;)
Yak 1.jpg

The next picture is of the wing bolts & canopy bolts. I like the fact that all of the 4-40 bolts are stainless steel.
Yak 2.jpg

These are pre made aileron extensions with ashlock type connectors. I don't know if the seller made them or bought them. The wire is a very heavy guage, which I like to minimize voltage drop to the servos.
Yak 3.jpg

The last picture is a package of extra hardware. All of the rudder pull pull rods and hardware are still attached to the rudder and the cables are inside the plane.

Yak 4.jpg

Now that I have had a chance to really look over the plane, I am extremely happy with it. . . . . :yesss:. I can obviously tell the plane has flown and there are signs of wear, but overall, I think the plane was very well taken care of. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a solid 8. I will split up the pictures into a few separate posts so this post doesn't get too long. . . . . :big_yes:

Alky6

150cc
Thanks for the advise Rob. My Mama didn't raise no Dummy. I'd be foolish to disregard such sage advise from a Behemoth Yak flyer, like my good friend @stangflyer . . . . . . . :yesss:. Even though the gentleman I purchased the plane from said the plane flew well with a single Savox 1270 on the rudder, I would be smart to go with two of the MKS's. I've got a couple 5000mAh Duralite A123 packs with dual outputs so I'm thinking one of them will have plenty of capacity for a normal day of flying, which for me is four flights.

While I have everyone attention (hopefully. . . . . LOL), I am open to any advice for setting up dual aileron servos and dual rudder servos, since its starting to look like the big Yak will have both. Putting them all on separate channels is no problem, I just need to learn how to do it without allot of head aches. If I remember correctly, @thurmma is a fellow Futaba aficionado so hopefully he can help me out on the radio end of the equation.

Take care Fellas
Now that I have "seen" your plane - I noticed it has adjustable horns on it. Dual servo aileron setups are super easy when the geometry is the same. Take care to make sure the horn/ball link height measured from the center of the hingeline is the same (and servo arms). Not much you'll be able to do about the other geometry - but that will get you really close. Who knows, maybe they hook up and you're ready to go with no massaging. Good luck!!

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Now that I have "seen" your plane - I noticed it has adjustable horns on it. Dual servo aileron setups are super easy when the geometry is the same. Take care to make sure the horn/ball link height measured from the center of the hingeline is the same (and servo arms). Not much you'll be able to do about the other geometry - but that will get you really close. Who knows, maybe they hook up and you're ready to go with no massaging. Good luck!!
Hey Paul,

I am hoping the linkage is already set, but I will heed your advice and check everything very carefully my friend. . . . . :way_to_go:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Like I said a few posts back, I am extremely happy with my Yak. . . . . :yesss:. I think it will serve me very well as my first giant scale plane. I would like to make a couple of comments and ask for some advice from you guys on a couple of things. With regards to the aileron extensions, while the wire size is large enough, I am a little concerned that the wires are not twisted like the elevator extensions to help eliminate interference. Granted, the elevator extensions are about a mile longer, I am a little concerned about the ailerons. . . :concern:. Should I be concerned? My next concern is the elevator and aileron rods which I forgot to get a picture of. They are carbon fiber rods with threaded ends and metal keepers over the ends. The ends are not the aluminum ends like you get from Central Hobbies and glue into hollow carbon fiber shafts, to me they almost look home made, albeit very well made. I am wondering if I should go ahead and get some turnbuckles to use instead.

Before I forget @Snoopy1, to answer your question from the new avatar thread, If you look at the first picture I posted (the large one of my new avatar), you will notice the front passenger seat down. I have to do this for the plane to fit completely inside my Durango. If I put the cowl on, the tail wheel rests on the back of the front seat and the rear of the rudder is about 9" from the glove box. So it barely fits. . . . :big_yes:.

One last thing Fellas. Thanks for all the positive comments, I really appreciate them.