• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build: EF 88" Edge 540T

On another note, there is a guy at my field who has been flying a couple EME 70's and a 120. He was the one who encouraged me to get the 70.

Both of his run damn good. The only thing I don't like is you have to hold your finger over the carb plate to get it to draw fuel. I may try covering the hole with silver solder and see if I can get it to draw fuel.

Other than that I like the motor what little bit I've run it. They use an RCEXL ignition and so I was also able to do away with the regulator on my ignition battery.

I was able to get 4 flights with the EME this weekend. The last time I had flown the motor, it was making decent power but I could still tell it was very tight. The first flight was mostly sport aerobatics and then I just started flying steep ascent and decent loops to heat/cool the motor. By the end of the flight it was a different motor.

The engine is making pretty good power and I have about a gallon through it running Stihl mineral oil at 30:1. It's making a little bit of a mess but it's not too bad. There was less oil residue after about 40 minutes of flying than the first 2 short flights. This engine also likes fuel. I'm running a 24 ounce tank and I wouldn't go any smaller. I will probably switch back to pump gas after I get the motor broke in. I have close to a gallon of the SEF and Redline mixed at 40:1. I'm going to add the difference of 40:1 to 32:1 even though it will make the ratio lower than 32:1 and then just mix 32:1 from then on. The prop has been the Mejzlik 24x10 that I ran on the DA 60. Seemed to be a little much at the beginning but in the end I think it's a good prop for the motor. I also have a Vess 24B to try but I need to buy a drill press.

I still have to put my finger over the carb plate to get it to prime to start so I just fold up some paper towels and stick them in my pocket to rub my fingers on. I have a good bit of my shop packed up so I'm going to take the plane off the wall to do some more baffle work, adjust the throttle linkage (right now I'm at 30/130 but I wanted to fly it) to get better resolution, and then I'll see what I have in the way of carb choke plates that may fit and see about putting some silver solder or JB weld to close off and see if that can get it to prime fuel without putting my finger over the plate.

My only complaint with this motor is the fuel drawing and having to put my finger over the choke plate. Other than that, it's pretty much run at stock needle settings, makes great power, and can use a 2S Lipo. It's not the power of a DA 70 but if you're flying something that can do fine on a DA 60, I would go with this motor 9 times out of 10 for sure. I also ordered a CF spinner this morning to try and take some of the nose weight off. I have a couple of MKS 777 servos for my Dalton that I may put in the stabs to get some more tail weight or I may just throw a little bit of lead back there and see what happens.

@AKNick and @stangflyer

I was able to get about 1.5 gallons through the EME 70 before moving we move in a few weeks. The motor really came alive on the 3rd flight and I was just doing repeated loops.

I also got some solder over the choke valve and now it draws fuel on it's own. I still have to flip it a good number of times before the first flight but it's not really any different than any other motor I've had. I also swapped out the axle that the choke valve mounts to and now I pull to choke and push to turn off the choke.

Attachments

• 20161019_201040.jpg
    20161019_201040.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 376
  • 20161019_204725.jpg
    20161019_204725.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 415
  • 20161019_205244.jpg
    20161019_205244.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 363
I love this plane the last true EF 50cc, it's a shame EF have gone pretty much solely electric or bigger/smaller, oh well, I have a few 70ish inch electrics but do love my fifties!

I hope they do not scrap it from the lineup!

Well, they're somewhat going to larger 40cc planes that you could use a 50 in. The Yak can also fly no problem with a 60 in it.

I'd love to get a 83" MXS or the 79" Slick with a DA 50 in it.

Yes i know, EF/3DHS do not really have anything much anymore, smaller electrics, electrics or weird 40cc planes. The EF 60cc sized planes are too big for a 60 and barely have enough power with a 70cc, this one is the only gasser in their lineup that suits me, perfect size for a fifty or a sixty, even a seventy twin can be done.

I got another 6 flights on the Edge this weekend despite moving. The EME 70 is really strong now that it's at a lower elevation. My carb is no longer dripping fuel except when I'm starting it.

I also switched the motor over to Redline at 40:1 and it's easier to start. I think my big problem was not following the directions which say to open the carb 1/8-1/4 with choke on. I now flip until it pops, flip it another 5 times with the choke on, and then flip it with choke off and it starts within about 5 flips.