• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Cappy cuts/builds an old school Ultra Hots with a few mods.

capthis

70cc twin V2
So construction began with the wing. The plans called for Spruce Spars. I didn't have spruce nor did I want to buy any so I used hard balsa, and added carbon tow to the outside, and a very short piece of scrap I had to the inside center section.

The original wing span is 81" or so which I felt like was too much so I am clipping one bay off. This also allows me to use 36" wood without a splice.
59289.jpg
59277.jpg
59281.jpg
59286.jpg

capthis

70cc twin V2
Here you can see wing rough framed with sheeting and shear webs etc all installed. I have not added the servo mounts yet as I am moving them out a little to center then in the ailerons.
59348.jpg
59351.jpg

capthis

70cc twin V2
You may notice the black dog in some of my posts. That' my 115lb Rottie puppy Tough! Unfortunately he loves to eat Balsa wood but then throws in back up. I can tell you the only thing that gets you out of bed quicker than a suspected intruder is the sounds of a dog about to yak on the carpet....

59354.jpg

capthis

70cc twin V2
Once the wing was framed it was on to building the rons. The plans call for strip rons that are I think 1.5" in cord. I made my own rons using the TLAR method and the wing plan as a guide. These are 3 3/4" not including the 3/4" tri stock I used for the leading edge. I also moved the servo horn attach point to a more centered position.

59422.jpg
59343.jpg

capthis

70cc twin V2
And that brings you up-to-date with the build so far. I gotta say I really enjoy the scratch building and if anyone has any questions or suggestions I welcome them.

You may also notice most of my cut parts there is 3 sets of parts cut. My buddy #Jag has a "kit" as well as my other buddy Mo out in California.

I have a few ARF's myself but there is just something about having a plane you built yourself. And while I love 3D I wanted something a little different and nostalgic so this is what happened! :)

Dhooks

New to GSN!
Never know where a carpet bagger will turn up?

Would you care for me to review a kappy kut kit for the fine people here on the site? Well now....;) ;)