• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Demystifying Vacuum Bagging of foam wings!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Great thread on bagging, Terry. I have a quick question about the router bit that you used in your spar video. I have a hand router and 1/4" flush cut bit but I am having a hard time finding one with the collar on the top side. Could you point me in the right direction to find the setup you are using?

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this.

JB

It's actually a collar that goes on your router. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-42000-9-Piece-Template-Guide/dp/B0000222V1/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y

I use a piece of 1/8" thick plywood for a guide so I sanded the collar down to just less than 1/8". Then the router bit goes through the collar and the collar rides on the template.

JBenson

50cc
Perfect. Looks like they have a similar set for the Bosch trim router I am using. Thank you for the information.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Building a vacuum pump found some old ones around and building like a mad man will try to post some pictures when done. This is going to be a life changer, have stayed away from foam and did not like it or better yet do not know how to deal with it. But after this forum going to give it a go. Must thank Terry for all the effort and time he has invested in this to help all of us. Have one question when you made the sleeve for the tube did you plug the ends while in the bag.
Just found this thread 2 Days ago and have read and memorized it.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok have some questions concerning vacuum bagging. When do you decide to make a plane lighter. When do you core the wings before or after sheeting. If you core before sheeting will the balsa not get deformed into the hole and show up deformed when vacuum bagging. Second concern if you sheet it and core after bagging then it is difficult to paint because you can not glass over an open area, it can be stits covered but is completely different and can gain some weight.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
image.jpg image.jpg

Well found two old pumps rebuilt the one and the other was good. Cleaned them up and built a stand to hold everything. Plums and electrics on the one side and the tanks on the back side. Sequenced the pumps and that works great. Getting ready for the Viper build.

I just watched a YouTube video and the guy was building the Hyperlite Slick. He used the $150 set up from ACP. Is that a pretty decent set up for someone that might build one kit/year or less?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It will work just fine. You do not need any thing more. Used mine and it did what I needed. I found the second one and just for kicks rebuilt it and it worked. If it did not I would be perfectly happy with the APC UNIT it works well and is nice and quiet.

mikeh

70cc twin V2
I finally pulled the trigger on an APC unit. It's only been a year and a half. Super excited to try it! But I have one question, what hg should I set the pump to? 4-6 hg on white foam? Thanks Terry for the great videos!