• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I'll post the pictures I have later tonight, and when the wing gets back here I'll try and take a video of it.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Here are some of the pictures I sent Horizon initially.

This is the hump in the bottom of the left wing below the wing tube. It doesn't show up very well in photos, but it's very obvious in person. I've had a couple other guys I trust look at it and they all agree with me that it's pretty bad.

1.jpg

This is the way the aileron fits at the root.

2.jpg

The wing tube socket that has a split in it with glue oozing through.

3.jpg

A better angle of how the aileron fits.

4.jpg

The next few are the cowl ring that isn't glued in most of the way around. An easy fix, but it should be better that this.

6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

The next two are way the hatch fits the cowl.

9.jpg
10.jpg

These two are the rudder hinges that are full of glue and the hinge wire wont go through. Fixable, but things should be better than this.

11.jpg
12.jpg

Here are two of the rudder. The sheeting is very wavy and it looks like it wasn't touched with a piece of sandpaper before it was covered. The pictures don't do it justice. I'm fairly sure none of the sheeted parts were sanded at all.

13.jpg
14.jpg

Am I being picky? Probably, but it's not like this is a cheap airplane from HK. This airplane is roughly the same price as a Pilot 107 Extra that I have experience with and the Pilot is a much nicer airplane. And there doesn't seem to be any comparison between this and the Extreme Flight 105.5" Slick 580 that @garlandk is putting together in his thread which is in the same price range. The guy from Horizon was quoting the designer of the plane when he told me if I was looking for something with less tolerance in the specs and a more precise model I would need to look into a composite plane. I've owned and flown Composite Arf's and they are very high quality airplanes, but then again every wooden ARF I've had or flown is higher quality than this one. It's very disappointing.:(

BalsaDust

Who was the designer of this extra? Just seems crazy that he would say that was within tolerance. With the straight edge on the hump it's pretty obvious to me and the aileron being that far off should have never passed QC.

That gap between the cowl and hatch would drive me nuts. Is it possible to slide the cowl back further to make up the gap???

I don't think your being to picky at all. Yes you won this plane so it was free to you but if I had dropped $1200 for an airframe plus whatever shipping ends up being I would expect better than this especially from a major player in the game like Hangar 9. Heck when I won the PAU Sukhoi on here a couple years back when I got it the cowl was slightly damaged in shipping. I asked Herve what paint code the red was as I was just gonna repair it. He still insisted on sending me a new cowl. Also the fit and finish on that plane was top notch other than some minor massaging of some joints to get the landing gear to fit. Maybe @capthis can chime in as I think he has one of these extras as well.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
This is totally unacceptable. Workmanship like this is what you might see on a GH or NH model that cost pennies and even most of those are better than this. It only makes you wonder how bad it is under the covering in areas that you cannot see.

I had one plane I bought from a vendor on a blowout sale that was like this and even then I went back to the seller, but never got any recourse on it. I made sure folks knew about it so they would never by trash like that.

I am glad you posted pics of this for others to see. Let the readers make up their minds about this shoddy workmanship. This plane should have went back and been completely replaced and sold as is on the reduced/defective goods rack.