• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Wow. Went back to the old thread for build tips. It's hard to belive this was over three years ago!

03/19/2011

Originally Posted by Robotech

First flight is done. This thing does fly as good as it looks!

Congrats on the maiden flight. I believe you are the first!

Mike McConville

Horizon Hobby Inc.

Robotech;6387 wrote: I was thinking maybe it would be good to start a list of the little tweaks and odd and ends to assembling/maintaining this airframe. A Readers Digest version of the original build thread. Everyone can just copy the list and add to it as necessary. Thia airframe has been out for several years now and has an impressive track record for build quality and execellent OEM supplied hardware. I'm sure there are some that I am forgetting, but here's a start.

1. Discard the OEM wheels and tailwheels and replace.

2. Harden the cowl mounting wood tabs to prevent crushing.

3. Use neoprene backed washers for the cowl mounting bolts.

4. Add glue/reglue canopy front latch/hooks and tabs.

5. Inspect/glue wing anti-rotation pins.

Is there any replacement set of wheels that you would recommend?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Awesome Robo.... Been wondering what would be a good fit. I really didn't like the wheels that came with the plane.

Super08

70cc twin V2
On mine I had to go to a bit smaller wheels as one of mine was rubbing on the wheel pant inside at the top.

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
I'm actually running the stock main wheel and they are hanging in there without any issues.

Now as for the tail wheel assemble, I replaced mine with a Whiterose set up.

Stock one didnt last a dozen flights.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
2robinhood;6599 wrote: I'm actually running the stock main wheel and they are hanging in there without any issues.

Now as for the tail wheel assemble, I replaced mine with a Whiterose set up.

Stock one didnt last a dozen flights.

That's amazing. I think mine lasted a dozen flights or so before the rubber quit holding inside the hub. Same with the tailwheel.

When I installed the CF main gear I mounted the wheel pants a tad higher to avoid the larger wheels hitting the inside top. The tailwheel assembly is fine but the wheel itself didn't last much longer than the mains.