• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Here is a little update everyone. FWIW, **** at wingswestrc is about the nicest guy and totally in jet mode. I sent him the Ultracote colors just a couple of days ago. He said he would need to order in the covering, do the matching formula and then make the paint. Just a couple of days ago mind you. I received an email from **** today...Yes, today! My paint is ready to be shipped. It will go out tomorrow. Now that is beyond lightening speed huh? Every email I have sent him, it is like a matter of minutes and I have a response. I am more than pleased with the service from his company. I can't wait for the paint to get here. Looks like the cowl will be painted by the weekend of the 24th. Not sure I can still get the Pitts out for a maiden on my birthday as hoped. But it is getting so close. Stay tuned for the next and nearly the final step in this build. It should look really purdy.

Photos will be coming soon.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Have to agree with you it was a pleasure to deal with him it is not a quality that you find now days. I am impatient to get the paint so that I can paint. My plane.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Here is a little update everyone. FWIW, **** at wingswestrc is about the nicest guy and totally in jet mode. I sent him the Ultracote colors just a couple of days ago. He said he would need to order in the covering, do the matching formula and then make the paint. Just a couple of days ago mind you. I received an email from **** today...Yes, today! My paint is ready to be shipped. It will go out tomorrow. Now that is beyond lightening speed huh? Every email I have sent him, it is like a matter of minutes and I have a response. I am more than pleased with the service from his company. I can't wait for the paint to get here. Looks like the cowl will be painted by the weekend of the 24th. Not sure I can still get the Pitts out for a maiden on my birthday as hoped. But it is getting so close. Stay tuned for the next and nearly the final step in this build. It should look really purdy.

Photos will be coming soon.

NIIICE!! Wonder if he will match dope colors? I want to get some mixed up for the Krier wheel pants/cowling but don't want to buy the Randolf enamel, its just way too expensive.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
NIIICE!! Wonder if he will match dope colors? I want to get some mixed up for the Krier wheel pants/cowling but don't want to by the Randolf enamel, its just way too expensive.
Agreed. He did email me just a few minutes ago. I had forgotten he mentioned the paint will need to be clear coated. As his paint is a base coat. Which is not a problem. I needed to find out what "clear" he suggested. He stated that any automotive paint store should have "MAX 2". Now the problem. I am not sure I can do this. Maybe you or @Jetpainter would be willing to offer some suggestions? I mean, I have sprayed on paint before and had it come out looking really nice. I have then sprayed clear over the paint. Same idea with a base coat/clear coat process right? How many coats of clear do I put on?

You might give him a call and chat with him about the dope. His number is on his website (wingswestrc.com) Or I can get it for you if it would help.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Agreed. He did email me just a few minutes ago. I had forgotten he mentioned the paint will need to be clear coated. As his paint is a base coat. Which is not a problem. I needed to find out what "clear" he suggested. He stated that any automotive paint store should have "MAX 2". Now the problem. I am not sure I can do this. Maybe you or @Jetpainter would be willing to offer some suggestions? I mean, I have sprayed on paint before and had it come out looking really nice. I have then sprayed clear over the paint. Same idea with a base coat/clear coat process right? How many coats of clear do I put on?

You might give him a call and chat with him about the dope. His number is on his website (wingswestrc.com) Or I can get it for you if it would help.

Yep, same process. The base just does not have any shine, when you are finished with the bas colors it will just look like colored primer and then when you hit it with the clear, bam! shine lol I find base clear types of paint to be more forgiving, and much easier to get a nice job which is good for the non experts like myself.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yep, same process. The base just does not have any shine, when you are finished with the bas colors it will just look like colored primer and then when you hit it with the clear, bam! shine lol I find base clear types of paint to be more forgiving, and much easier to get a nice job which is good for the non experts like myself.
Awesome. That helps ease my worries. Thanks so much. Two coats then? Oh yeah, one other thing. With other paints, I have applied the needed amount of coats to get the correct match I wanted. How do I know when enough paint is on to match the covering? This is all new territory for me. Sorry for all the ignorance regarding this subject.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Awesome. That helps ease my worries. Thanks so much. Two coats then? Oh yeah, one other thing. With other paints, I have applied the needed amount of coats to get the correct match I wanted. How do I know when enough paint is on to match the covering? This is all new territory for me. Sorry for all the ignorance regarding this subject.

first and foremost, paint EVERYTHING with the white first even if it isn't the correct white. The white will make sure that the pigments in the other colors look right. Then put your other colors on, just enough that they are even and opaque.

After the base colors have cured for a few hours hit it with the clear. Me personally have always put on a light tack coat and then a good solid coat and stopped because more clear is more weight (think of it like liquid lead lol). If you want to block sand it and polish you'll need more than that but usually one coat for me seems to match the sheen on Monokote pretty well.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
A white base coat can be very helpful on most colors, and an absolute necessity on yellow in my opinion. Most dark colors cover good over gray or dark gray primer. If you want to check your match before hand, make some small test panels and just clear those with any cheap spray can clear. The clear will change some colors quite a bit, so you need to clear them to check the color.

For your final clear coat, 2 is normally plenty, but like @Bipeguy03 said a light tack coat then a wet coat should work fine.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok, this seems pretty easy. Now for primer. Since this is a base coat paint and since I'll be using Max 2 clear, what would be the best primer? Believe it or not, anything I've painted using my conventional methods, has turned out pretty nice. But did not use any primer. Obviously I want to prime the cowl and pants for the Pitts due to the type of paint. Automotive style primer? Does the primer need to be for base coat clear coat? Or will any primer do?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok, this seems pretty easy. Now for primer. Since this is a base coat paint and since I'll be using Max 2 clear, what would be the best primer? Believe it or not, anything I've painted using my conventional methods, has turned out pretty nice. But did not use any primer. Obviously I want to prime the cowl and pants for the Pitts due to the type of paint. Automotive style primer? Does the primer need to be for base coat clear coat? Or will any primer do?
A 2 part catalyzed primer is always better, but basecoat color is not usually too picky. If your not using a spray gun, Spray Max makes a spray can catalyzed filler primer. They are the same people that make the spray can catalyzed clear coat.

http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=352&L=1