• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale MattyMatt's Exclusiv Modellbau 50% Challenger II

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Stabs...

image.jpg

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
If it's finished anything like the fabric covered planes I've had, you won't see any weave in the fabric, only the pinking and stitches. That's on ceconite as well as grade A cotton with Randolph butyrate dope finishes. Very smooth and shiny!

I have seen some finishes on a few unlimited aerobatic planes that barely had enough paint on to show color....all to keep weight down, as well as prevent the sun from glaring in the judges eyes! The late Harold Chapell was known for that :)!

WMcNabb

150cc
If it's finished anything like the fabric covered planes I've had, you won't see any weave in the fabric, only the pinking and stitches. That's on ceconite as well as grade A cotton with Randolph butyrate dope finishes. Very smooth and shiny!

And probably with many coats! But your Pitts S1T was beautiful!!

Ever heard of double cover to eliminate tapes? Basically the second layer of fabric behaves like one big tape.

http://2wings.com/m12/faq/coverfinish/coverfinish.htm#03/12/00 COVERING, TAPE LOSS, PROP BLAST, KIMBALL DOUBLE COVER

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yep, heard of it but never used it. thanks....The finish on my Pitts was very nicely done....by the factory!!!

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
No worries... Good discussion. As Eale said, the weave won't stand out, but you will see some texture. Especially, with it being black.

Elevators done....

Last edited:

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
So, my plan was to cover the fuse, and completely finish the stabs. Then put the panels on the front of the fuse and mount the canopy, but I'm digging this covering work. So, I'm going to start the wings.

As Earle mentioned earlier, the front of the wings (the D tube) is aluminum and there is no seam at the leading edge. So I will be covering the wings as full scale. More or less.

I'll start with the bottom of the bottom left wing. This is with the covering tacked.

image.jpg

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Left bottom wing, stitched and pinked... Ready to paint.

Now 3 more wings... Lol. I had to order more Solartex from Balsa USA today.