• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D MOJO 65 w/20cc Build

BalsaDust

Cool. Yeah I fly with caf some when he invites me out to fun times field or when he comes to my field at ft Lee.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
So I played around with this plane some messing with weights and distribution. I had to add 11.5 ounces to get it to balance at around 7 3/4 - 8 inches. Moving the engine as far forward as possible makes about 1/4 inch difference on balance putting it closer to 7 3/4. Not nearly as much difference as I had anticipated.

I am not sure at this point what I plan to do. I was fairly satisfied with the overall weight of the plane at 9 lbs thinking I could keep it close to 9 but never gave any thought to there being a balance issue. Adding the better part of a lb doesn't make sense to me. That would only make for an under performing plane.

I plan to think it through some more. The adapter at 2 ounces, 11.5 ounces of raw weight makes it 13.5 ounces and moving the engine forward (looks odd out there).

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Ok, made some headway and I think it will work. I took the engine and moved it one inch forward then I took the battery and moved it all the way to the front of the plane just under the engine mount area. Next I took the ignition and moved it closer to the front as I could get it. I put everything back together and I am fairly close now.

I will have to put a small cover/shield over the battery because it is near the fuel tank and I can see spilling fuel and it going up in flames. Putting a cover over the battery will be easy to do. Battery mounted on the outside doesn't look as clean as inside the wing, but not a big deal. Once all the wires are cable tied and hid back it looks ok.

I am curious to the weight now. I am thinking it will be around 9 lbs and maybe 3-5 ounces. I will have to weigh it once I get done. I have a few odds and ends to do, then maybe next weekend she will get in the air.

BalsaDust

Just put the batt in a plastic bag for now and rubber band it in place. You may find it needs to move back to the wing. If you find its spot on though then you can make the proper shield for it.

caf2461

50cc
Just put mine together and checked. Mine balances at just past 7 1/2" back now. It was probably around 7 3/4" back with the DLE20. It never felt tail heavy with either.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Just put mine together and checked. Mine balances at just past 7 1/2" back now. It was probably around 7 3/4" back with the DLE20. It never felt tail heavy with either.
Good information! I think that is right around where I am now so that will be good for the maiden flight. Once I get that out of the way and she how she handles, I will play around with relocating the weight if need be. It will be easy to move things back some.

I was going out late yesterday to do the maiden, but we had crosswinds and it rained several times, so I canned that idea.

caf2461

50cc
This weekend looks windy also. I may go flying, just have to keep an eye on these storms and wind for an opening.
Going through withdrawals due to work and weather have not flown for weeks.
Don't rush a maiden.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Yeah, I have not been flying any at all as I have been doing some work around here. I have been smoking some time on the sim when I can.

I may have to go as well. I don't mind the wind that much, but it looks like it is going to be a direct crosswind. If it is steady might not be bad, but that choppy stuff makes for some "not so enjoyable" flying.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Took the Mojo out and maidened her yesterday evening. The plane only needed one click of down trim. That puppy was on the mark. Flew inverted hands off. I did have to add some weight to it just for the maiden and after flying it about six flights and getting her dialed in I think I will be fine taking off the weight I added for the maiden, but definitely don't think things can be shifted back at all.

After the feeling the characteristics of the plane and after the second flight to put this bird on high rates and put it through the paces. Amazing what this plane can do and then just fall back to a floaty docile state. It reminds me of a big foamy. It flies different then my other Aerobeez 20cc profile.

I have a skip or miss in the mid-range and not sure what that is yet. My engine was still breaking in and I need a tad bit more tuning there. I need to button up a few odds and ends, then just put the flights on this thing.