• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D My first Design. I Dubb it The ChubCub

Sounds like you got a plan for V2.0 of the Chub Cub! The asymmetrical flight style is going to be something you can minimize a bit but won't get rid of. I learned that on my foamy Monocoupe I designed. One thing I did was run a large dia. prop on mine so I had more airflow over the wing and that did help the roll rate and overall flight characteristics. Good luck!

BalsaDust

rcpilot82;18837 wrote: Sounds like you got a plan for V2.0 of the Chub Cub! The asymmetrical flight style is going to be something you can minimize a bit but won't get rid of. I learned that on my foamy Monocoupe I designed. One thing I did was run a large dia. prop on mine so I had more airflow over the wing and that did help the roll rate and overall flight characteristics. Good luck!

Thanks rob. A larger prop is something I would like to do but just not with the motor I got on it. I tried a 10x3.8 on my foamy with the same motor. It fly it fine and I like the way it made the plane fly but it was just to much prop for the high kv motor. I'm looking at getting a park 400 from value hobbies that should give the extra power I need and is only a 1000 kv motor so it will turn the bigger prop just fine.

BalsaDust

Jetpainter;19057 wrote: Nice project.

Thanks

I will be uploading another video here this evening. I have made some changes to things and I'm working in the right direction. Will explain later when I'm on a PC.

BalsaDust

Ok here is the next video with some changes made. Changes consist of added two washers to the top of the motor to give it some down thrust and one more on the left side to give it just a touch more right thrust. Right thrust is perfect now thinking I may need just a touch more down though. The thrust changes were most noticed when I pulled it into a hover as it no longer wanted to fall over on its back.

Also reflexed the ailerons up just a tad. Ailerons feel pretty good for there size provide plenty of roll rate on high rates and there is still enough athority there to control it when in a hover or high alpha but I still want them a little bigger. At higher speeds it will snap pretty good but when it slows down it just kinda lumbers through the snap. thinking of adding another inch to them and that should help out. Will try it with some depron at our fun fly on saturday but I want to here kwj48's opion of it the way it is before I try it.

Glued the horizontal in over, well actually left the screws and just tacked the front with some thin CA.

Also switched to a real GWS prop that was properly balanced compared to the out of balance orange one that was on there. That improved its pull out of a hover. Still not ballistic like I would like it to be but much better.

These few changes helped alot but I'm still needing some rudder input in the turns. What ideas do people have to help solve this. I'm thinking a bigger prop might help a bit and also thinking putting landing gear on it could help. I'm just shooting it the dark though so I figured I would ask the professionals.

kwj48

70cc twin V2
Just a few more tweaks and Chris will have knocked this one out of the ball park! Chris has done an amazing job on building and covering the Chub Cub. Everyone was commenting on it yesterday. It was a bit windy yesterday but the Chub Cub handled it pretty well. It seemed pretty well balanced. It will right to left knife edge with just the slightest amount of rudder. The rudder is very effective for its size. It surprised me. I got it to do a pretty good flat spin, that just sat there spinning, didn't try it inverted though. I thought it needed just a bit more elevator throw. The roll rate wasn't too bad either. Not blazing fast but pretty good. Chris dorked it one time and I thought it might have broke the wing loose but it was still solid. The joiner on this thing is a really cool set up. I could tell Chris was getting more comfortable with it as the day went on. Awesome job Chris!

BalsaDust

pawnshopmike;19830 wrote: That's pretty cool Chris. Very nice job my friend:winking-thumbs-up-s

Thanks. Once I get all the quirks worked out of it I will be updating plans and getting them to someone to put them in cad. At which point they will be available for anyone interested in one.