• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

My New 3D Extra 300 Prototype For Fly-Model

AKfreak

150cc
used DA-50- cheap.. This plane isn't going to use cheap servos regardless. The control surfaces are huge. I want the plane to be affordable, How you out fit it is on you :) I am not trying to build the worlds cheapest flyng 3d plane.. I just feel cost of air frames in the premium sector is kind of ridiculous. Design and flying characteristics dictate price in this game, I feel it doesn't have to be that way..

I am not trying to get in the servo business, good servos cost alot of money. I plan to use Savox Brushless, I love them in my MXS.. Ill buy them again..

AKfreak

150cc
a 50-60cc motor is just not what your target market is likely to choose. IF you want to go gas why not use a da-35 or a vv40. Otherwise where does this plane really fit? A big fuse doesn't necessarily mean it needs a ton more power. I would be a lot more concerned about trying to achieve a light build for initial testing.

I favored an electric power system just because you can confidently huck the plane without any delay once it is built.

Put a 50cc gasser in there and I feel you are really disconnecting with your target market.

I dont think I am..Have you ever personally run a 12S setup? Your a seasoned guy who flys 35cc all the time. IMO flying 12S is cool if you have a ton of packs and an incredible charger. That charger alone will cost $$$ too. Heck, I dont know of too many entry level pilots running 12 S setups.. The packs alone cost as much as a gas motor.

I say to fly on a Sunday you need 6 to eight 3500-4500 6S packs.. A cheap ole junk 3500 6S will cost you $65 to $70 bucks each. Do the math.. A 35cc Motrolfly motor MOTROLFLY DM-4330 is $225 plus shipping. Now a 12S ESC $120 ish.. Electric cost as much as gas if not more IMO..

A DA 35 vs a DA 50 isnt that much difference in weight. I personally like planes with Much power.. I will consider all options. Ill fly it with a 35cc gas, electric, and a 50cc and a 60 cc. This is a test bed. Hell it doesn't have a cowl yet.. I will beat the snot out of this plane, then ill build another that's better, then do it again..

The kit comes with all the stuff for gas or electric setups. DA-5- $549, DA 35= $449.. Wither way,, its going to cost some $$$ to outfit a 3D plane this size...

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Alright man, go for it! I'm excited to see it regardless. Let er rip!

You know we all support you in this project. Only voiced opinions... you are going to get some forum quarterbacking but at the end of the day it is your project :)

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Alright man, go for it! I'm excited to see it regardless. Let er rip!

You know we all support you in this project. Only voiced opinions... you are going to get some forum quarterbacking but at the end of the day it is your project :)

Well put 3dnater! I agree 100%. We all want this to succeed and say I was there when Thom had that crazy idea and look at his line up of killer planes now! We're behind ya buddy and when it's ready I will buy one!

The DA-35 is very much lighter than the 50. The 60 is lighter than the 50. The only reason Nate and I suggested electric was for flexibly and reliability as your testing more than just hucking it around. If you are more comfy with the gas then go for it. There is a complete lack of airframes for the 50/55cc as we discussed at length when you got the MXS.

Yes there is a premium above general hobby and RC jets world as the gap is that they are reselling proven airframes rather than doing any design work.

I am excited that the distributor is grabbing onto to someone like you to get a quality product.

The majority of your buyers will go gas. I know AJ had tried a VVRC-40 and DA-35 on his 73" laser to prove the setup so you will likely be doing a few different things as you get closer to production.

AKfreak

150cc
Thanks guys for the encouragement. This plane will get pretty much the kitchen sink thrown at it. I wish I have a better relationship with Motrolfly, Castle, DA, Hitech and Savox so I could test a bunch of different motors and servos combos to come up with several packages in both electric and gas. (then send the gear back or raffle it off (for free) to folks in the hobby that need it.)

I am sue once I get the first design refined and available to the world, some of these manufacturers might see that I am in this for the love of the hobby and not the money, or for free stuff. I honestly want to grow the hobby and want 3D airframes that are of premium quality in the hands of anyone who wants one.

Again thanks for the words of encouragement.

PS.. I have never flown a plane with no cowl.. I dont know how much difference it makes, but I do know the molds are expensive to make so you want to make sure your design flys well before you invest in the cowl.

3dNater

You will notice a bigger difference with no canopy than you will with no cowl. I think you will have a pretty good idea without it.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
I would take the time to build a built up cowl and at least put a lite layer of glass on it before trying it out.

3dNater

I really can't see it making much difference at all in 3d flight. I can see it a little more in high energy but the difference will be negligible. I have maidened lots of planes with no cowl. Can't tell much difference when you put it on. Canopy is a total game changer because of the drag of an open turtle deck.